Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to clean the aluminum rims on my dually? I tried the mother's paste polish and it really didn't work that well.
Is there a tool that works good to take the dry paste off with? or is there another product I should try?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
745 Posts
I like the Eagle 1 mag etching spray. it will clean and Etch leaving behing a polishible satin aluminum. I like the finish the cleaner leaves behind with out polishing.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What is the best way to clean the aluminum rims on my dually? I tried the mother's paste polish and it really didn't work that well.
Is there a tool that works good to take the dry paste off with? or is there another product I should try?

Thanks in advance..
well first off dont use mothers ploshies and waxes!
I would use adams all purpose cleaner and then adams meatl polish! works very well! I have pics I have to load with before and after and the rims I did were very bad

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I like the Eagle 1 mag etching spray. it will clean and Etch leaving behing a polishible satin aluminum. I like the finish the cleaner leaves behind with out polishing.
when you use cleaners like this it opens the pours of the metal!! thats great if you polish but if you dont they will look crappy quick!
does your rims turn white a couple of months after use?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well first off dont use mothers ploshies and waxes!
I would use adams all purpose cleaner and then adams meatl polish! works very well! I have pics I have to load with before and after and the rims I did were very bad
Okay, where do you buy Adams products?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
this is done with adams alll purpose cleaner and adams metal polish

before:::

After::

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Okay, where do you buy Adams products?
Here ya go atsah, Adam's Polishes

also they got a PSN discount too (10% off), Shiny Smoker! - Powerstroke Nation

I have always had good luck with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish :shrug: use it on my wheels (chrome) and the side steps (when they were on the truck) and also the window trim I had on my old 83 F250. I would love to try some of Adam's stuff someday though, heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Are the factory dually wheel's clear coated maybe? I believe the SRW wheels are, I usually just use some windex (or wash em) and they come right back nice.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here ya go atsah, Adam's Polishes

also they got a PSN discount too (10% off), Shiny Smoker! - Powerstroke Nation

I have always had good luck with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish :shrug: use it on my wheels (chrome) and the side steps (when they were on the truck) and also the window trim I had on my old 83 F250. I would love to try some of Adam's stuff someday though, heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Are the factory dually wheel's clear coated maybe? I believe the SRW wheels are, I usually just use some windex (or wash em) and they come right back nice.
Thanks. I don't think mine are coated at all.. I had a large can of the Mother's stuff and I wanted to give it another try so I was going to buy a rim buffer anyway so I did and they came out pretty damn good.
Of course I was black when I got done. :doh:

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
i use the mothers also on my alcoas. blue corral makes a bad a** cream stuff that i use on my shiny toolboxes,bed rails and trim. make sure you have an electric buffer thingy and it will blind folks from miles away.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Easy Cut Metal Polish Products

The way to go, I started working around big trucks this winter that mothers crap is a joke compared to britemax I have done my bed ones and my rims twice on like a quarter of a bottle, I do use mothers little drill power ball thing tho.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
I always use Mothers on my Alcoa's. I get a foam buffing pad for a drill from the parts store and have at it till everything is good and black, then come back and wipe it off with a towel. I usually do this once a year. I would do it more but I shut down and stop washing my truck in the winter.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts

Thanks in advance..
If you have stock dually rims, they are clear coated from the factory, and you have to remove the clear coat first with a paint stripper. Mine were getting spots of corrosion on them. Tried several polishes until I realized they had a very thin clear coat.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If you have stock dually rims, they are clear coated from the factory, and you have to remove the clear coat first with a paint stripper. Mine were getting spots of corrosion on them. Tried several polishes until I realized they had a very thin clear coat.
So what can be done to make the wheels look good again besides striping them and sending them out to be redone?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So what can be done to make the wheels look good again besides striping them and sending them out to be redone?
if your rims are very bad striping them would be the best way,but if they arent the best thng you can use on your rims that are coated is to use paint wax

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
if your rims are very bad striping them would be the best way,but if they arent the best thng you can use on your rims that are coated is to use paint wax
Well they are getting nasty aorund where wheel weights used to be and stuff...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have been dealing with a chiped and peeling clear cote on my wifes Camery for years. I tried eveything incuding sanding over the years. One day i had some time I pulled one wheel off her car. I had a gallon of gell stripper I used on some wood work years ago. I figured i cant make them look any worse. I set the wheel and tire on some card board and with a paint brush painted on the gel. Next thing i notice it was all wrinkaling very well. I took a scraper or putty knife and it came right off. There was some left after i sprayed it down with water the jell is water washable. I reaplied the jell and reapeted the prosess it was so easy i got the jack stands out and pulled off all foure wheels and tires and was done in about 3 houres.

Once i had all four stripped I sprayed them down with the Eagle One mag etching spray and scrubbed them with a brillow pad. They came out great I still need to polish but that is the hard part every thing else was easy. It looked like a new car in a few houres.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts