Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just getting started...
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was cleaning my truck on Friday and made the mistake of washing the engine compartment. I started by lightly spraying degreaser on the engine then about two minutes later I lightly sprayed off the engine. I started it and it started and ran fine, I left it running as I dried the rest of the truck off. The check engine light and water in fuel light were on, but a few minutes later the water in fuel light went off so I shut the truck off. I tried to restart the engine and when it fired up it was surging(tach is working, so no cps) I tried to give it a little gas to maybe level out the surging but that didn't do much, the rpms climbed to about 1000 and wouldn't go any higher and as soon as I let off the gas it died. If I start the truck and give it gas as it cranks it will rev up normally and when I let off it idles fine, I drove the truck to auto zone so I could check my code. As soon as I shut the truck off I tried starting it back up and it surged again. One of the issues I'm having is the check engine light won't stay on, it only comes on when engine is running. I tried checking codes but none came up( it was an auto zone scanner so nothing special), I'm going to check them at work tomorrow. I got electrical connector cleaner and started checking and cleaning connections, I started with the connectors on the valve covers and then started checking around the engine. The only connections that were wet and or oily were the connections on the valve covers. I cleaned those and it didn't change anything. When I started it it didn't surge as badly as before, I climbed on the engine and pushed in the connectors to make sure they were in all the way( it helped and smoothed the idle but only for a few seconds). I cleaned up and left auto zone, my house is just around the corner. I started it and gave it a little bit of gas and it idled fine, as I was pulling out the throttle was really sensitive and it would kind of sputter and almost die but it would slowly return to about 700 rpm. If I tapped the gas pedal when it would almost die it would rev a little but it died once while I was coasting and then it would just crank over and I couldn't get it it fire up. My friend towed me home and I popped the hood and left it open over night and half of Saturday. I tried to turn it over on Saturday and it cranked over just fine, the check engine light was on. I let it warm up and then shut it off and tried to fire it up again and it surged and then died. If I let it sit it will crank over just fine, but as soon as I shut it off and fire it back up it surges and dies.

I'm thinking it might have to do with the IPR or the ICP.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Just getting started...
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks I'll do that after work.

·
Just getting started...
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked and cleaned the IPR sensor connector and looked for any connectors that could have gotten wet, I found one connector that connects just under turbo where the intake boot meets up to it. I'm believe that's the EGR or some other solenoid that controls the valve in the exhaust behind the turbo. My check engine light went off after I cleaned the IPR connection. I started the truck and it started like it normally would and it continued to run fine, I let it warm up and then I shut it off and started it back up. It started fine the second time and ran fine up until I shut it off. I disconnected the plug under the turbo and then fired it back up and it was surging, so I hopped out of the truck and plugged the sensor in. The idle smoothed out a little but only for a few seconds then it went back to surging. I gave it a little gas and the idle smoothed out. I let it run for a few minutes and noticed it will surge when at idle, the rpms drop from about 700 to about 600 or a little less. If I continue to let it run the idle smooths out for a while then it goes back to surging. I shut it off and then fired it back up and it started smoothly. I'm going to find a new connector for the plug under the turbo tomorrow, but I'm still a little stumped about what was causing my original issue.

I could use your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts