1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I would use the green scotch brite 2" disc. Not abrasive and will remove all residue. Brake/carb clean where needed, as well as a paint scraper.

·
Registered
871 Posts
razor blades, wd40, 220 grit sandpaper. thats what i use everytime
Do this with a 2x4 for the sandpaper and go across the bores in an x pattern until you don't see high spots.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I've got a big paint scraper (razorblade) that should work.
Another question, I am looking at adding more wrapping my wiring harnesses (main harness and injector harness). Both will see a lot of heat. I will be wrapping over the factory wrapping. Would regular electric tape hold up to the heat?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Doesn't ford have some sort of super gasket remover. When ford does HGs unless they are really bad like a 6.0 that has been driven on blown HGs for a while they use green scotch brite type pads on an air tool and a razor blade. Not even brake cleaner. Brake clean on the heads themselves to clean them up

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate the help! I ended up getting some heavy duty Duck brand electric tape that is thicker than most. The factory wrapping has held up pretty well, there were just a few creases on it where you could tell a little pressure an heat had been applied. Hoping to have them wrapped and start reassembling this weekend!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Appreciate the help! I ended up getting some heavy duty Duck brand electric tape that is thicker than most. The factory wrapping has held up pretty well, there were just a few creases on it where you could tell a little pressure an heat had been applied. Hoping to have them wrapped and start reassembling this weekend!
Yeah I would stay away from the scotchbrite pads on a die grinder... #### goes everywhere... theres too much opened up on a motor to risk that imo... I would do it by hand and would have the shop-vac hose handy the whole time.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yeah I would stay away from the scotchbrite pads on a die grinder... #### goes everywhere... theres too much opened up on a motor to risk that imo... I would do it by hand and would have the shop-vac hose handy the whole time.
Just so you and everyone else knows. When you take a truck to ford for a head gasket job. This is what they do. Then blow out all the holes and openings.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Not all Ford dealers.
That's how the ford manual says to do it. Whether the tech does it that way or not is a different story. Also that's all the ford tech manual says to do. It says not to use a razor blade but to use a wooden scraper if needed. I doubt the techs follow that one unless they're being closely watched.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just so you and everyone else knows. When you take a truck to ford for a head gasket job. This is what they do. Then blow out all the holes and openings.
That's how the ford manual says to do it. Whether the tech does it that way or not is a different story. Also that's all the ford tech manual says to do. It says not to use a razor blade but to use a wooden scraper if needed. I doubt the techs follow that one unless they're being closely watched.
Oh I know this is what happens at the dealer or other shops. I've been in a lot of shops, most all of them when they do estimates for any such involved job add a couple of those pad wheels in on the estimate...
I am sure there are thousands of 6.0s that are running around that have had the scotch bright pads used on them are just fine... I am sure there are some where it could have caused an issue. A shop I did community involvement in in high school used those pads, but they were very good about using heavy towels and covering the important stuff. Once again I am sure many shops arent so caring...

I know it happens,
I'm just saying I would not use them...

·
Registered
406 Posts
just did one in my shop put some nice long rags in the hole where the push rods go and and then scotch brite the cr ap out of it or wire wheel what ever you want i helped do one about 4 years ago and the guy is still driving that one too

·
Registered
86 Posts
Razor blade, penetrating oil, 220, and brake cleaner on hg jobs. Only thing the ford gasket removal ever did was get me in trouble with my wife! Lol my 3yr old son thought it was orange candy lol!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would NOT use standard electrical tape to wrap anything!

It becomes gooey and will lose it's adhesive ability, and become an unruly mess!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts