Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have some questions on the proper way to run a clay bar, i bought the meguiars kit, and i also bought there ultimate polish, i've used the polish b4 but never messed around with a clay bar. so any helpful hints and tricks would be great.

thanks
dillon

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
they have a "clear cut" its a clay bar spray, just spray and scrub. Works well, or you can use the stuff it came with. Elbow grease and beer!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Its been forever since I've used one on my truck. I bought that same kit though, if i remember right it came with some kind of detailer spray or some chit like that.

Spray it on and then run the clay bar over it, the surface has to be moist for the clay bar to slide across, other wise it just sticks.

Get a pinch of snuff, some tunes, and a chair, your ass will be out there a long time! And when i did my truck i could tell a damn difference afterwards, hence why i've never used it again. I think it does wonders on trucks that arent white.

·
JDG's #1 Fan
3,470 Posts
I used the Mequires kit on my truck last spring. Visually I didn't notice a difference, but it makes the paint feel so nice. And it makes getting the wax off even easier. Buy an extra bottle of the detail spray, just keep it really wet. I only used on of the pieces of clay, just keep kneading it. Took me about 4 hours, but i was clay barring while my wife followed me with the wax.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
It made a hell of a difference on my white truck

·
Registered
93 Posts
keep bar real wet, if you drop it THROW IT OUT, polish it with a good polish then wax.

my 01 i clayed, cleaned, polished, polished again then waxed now i use the detailer with a micro fiber cloth and it looks awesome

meguires paint cleaner from the web
meguires step #2 polish
meguires ultimate polish is awesome
meguires cleaner or carnuba wax
these are just what i used turtle wax and mothers have great products

clay bar does nothing but clean the paint will not remove scratches will not polish and removes all wax so be ready to at least wax after barring

good luck

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
The clay bar part will be the easiest thing you have ever done in this area. It makes a difference and pretty much moves as easy as rubbing a wet bar of soap on a wet truck. I get my kit out and do mine every so often just bc its easy haha.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keep bar real wet, if you drop it THROW IT OUT, polish it with a good polish then wax.

my 01 i clayed, cleaned, polished, polished again then waxed now i use the detailer with a micro fiber cloth and it looks awesome

meguires paint cleaner from the web
meguires step #2 polish
meguires ultimate polish is awesome
meguires cleaner or carnuba wax
these are just what i used turtle wax and mothers have great products

clay bar does nothing but clean the paint will not remove scratches will not polish and removes all wax so be ready to at least wax after barring

good luck

oya she will get a nice healthy coat of meguires gold as soon as im done, im hopin she shines up nicer than it does now, i mean don't get me wrong it looks good now when im done waxing but im aiming for awe3some

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
clay bar does wonders, but its not the end all to cleaning.... a good wash and wax before hand, then another wax after is the key!

Was it before with dish soap in order to remove all old wax

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I'm hoping to do mine real soon, so last night I sat and watched all 20+ video's on the Adam's Polishes site just to get an idea on what is involved in actually detailing and cleaning. Learned a lot. Hoping to get my truck cleaned up soon, 114k and to my knowledge its never been waxed or anything but washed

·
Registered
93 Posts
oya she will get a nice healthy coat of meguires gold as soon as im done, im hopin she shines up nicer than it does now, i mean don't get me wrong it looks good now when im done waxing but im aiming for awe3some
then make sure you polish between bar and wax and it'll look kick a$$.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
clay bar does wonders, but its not the end all to cleaning.... a good wash and wax before hand, then another wax after is the key!

Was it before with dish soap in order to remove all old wax
why wax before you remove the wax????:pointlaugh:

and dish soap dries out paint soooo bad you couldn't get me to use it if you paid to repaint my truck....!!!:doh::doh::doh:

a GOOD wash with "ICE" or "MEGUIRES GOLD WASH" to keep the paint healthy....

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
99% of professional detailers will tell you to Dawn wash the truck first to strip the old wax and most of the contaminants off the paint. Its definitely not something that should be used for regular washes for that very reason.

Clay bar next. As mentioned, keep the clay wet, knead it often, and discard it if you drop it. You won't see a visual difference with the clay bar, but feel a section of paint before and after. That you'll notice and as with everything, having a strong foundation is the key to having a great finished product.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
99% of professional detailers will tell you to Dawn wash the truck first to strip the old wax and most of the contaminants off the paint. Its definitely not something that should be used for regular washes for that very reason.

Clay bar next. As mentioned, keep the clay wet, knead it often, and discard it if you drop it. You won't see a visual difference with the clay bar, but feel a section of paint before and after. That you'll notice and as with everything, having a strong foundation is the key to having a great finished product.
point proven
why wax before you remove the wax????:pointlaugh:

and dish soap dries out paint soooo bad you couldn't get me to use it if you paid to repaint my truck....!!!:doh::doh::doh:

a GOOD wash with "ICE" or "MEGUIRES GOLD WASH" to keep the paint healthy....
Oh it does huh? Thats why nearly every dealer and car detailer uses it before a fresh coat of wax? and the part at the end about removing wax was an after thought, obviously thats the first step

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im part way done so i thought id show off a lil

i know its still a 200k mile pos but im proud of it

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
slow white
153 Posts
looks good man

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
looks great Dillon, gives me some inspiration to do mine in the next couple of weeks.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Adam's videos are a good tool for learning from. Clay bar is easy just lots of detail spray and work on clean surface if you can as I always end up dropping the clay bar. Epoxy floor that was mopped saves having to pitch the bar.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts