Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Diesel Freak
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive never cused clay bar. I just ordered Adams polishes clay bar kit and buttery wax. Is this some good stuff or did i just waste $70.00?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've used the mothers clay bar and I know that works well

·
Diesel Freak
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, ive just seen about adams and ordered some things. But i wanna know from a fellow super duty owner

·
Registered
107 Posts
for clay bar get a fine grade clay, because a more aggressive grade of clay will most likely induce some marring in the paint. For the lubrication fluid (Quick Detailer for most people), you can also use a diluted ONR/Optimum No rinse instead of QD.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you never used one you will be amazed when you do. Place a piece of plastic wrapper on the paint and then feel all the dirt. You will be amazed in what you feel (grit inbedded in the clear coat)but don't see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
$70 bucks sounds like a lot for a clay bar kit (not sure what it includes, assuming a bunch of junk you will never use). There are A LOT of places you can get clay bars online, making sure you use one that isn't too aggressive is key to not induce any unwanted marring (as someone already said). The general rule is that if you drop your clay bar it is garbage so be careful. Check out a website like Autogeek.net for some detailing stuff.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i use the meguires clay bar kit regularly on multiple vehicles....comes out looking great...just make sure you put a nice coat of wax on the truck after you clay bar....shell shine nice

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
do you guys do the whole truck with the clay bar or just spots where you can see the stuff on the paint. i just bought the meguires clay bar kit. works great for the little spots ive done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
do you guys do the whole truck with the clay bar or just spots where you can see the stuff on the paint. i just bought the meguires clay bar kit. works great for the little spots ive done.
Whole truck. I typically wash the whole thing, clay it all, and wash again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Whole truck. I typically wash the whole thing, clay it all, and wash again.
Yepp, I wash with dawn dish soap to remove any and all grease and old wax from the paint I then clay bar the entire truck then wash with dawn dish soap again. After that I follow up with polish and then wax. I then wait 24 hours and follow up with another coat of wax.

I clay bar two times a year do to the trees and dropping sap on my truck. Depending on your location it will vary

·
Registered
668 Posts
dish soap eats clear coat I wouldn't recommend using it. but sounds like you take great care of that truck!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
dish soap eats clear coat I wouldn't recommend using it. but sounds like you take great care of that truck!!
I know a ton of detailers that use Dawn soap to strip old wax, never heard of anyone saying it will eat the clear...I've heard stuff like shampoo and dishwasher detergent doing clear damage; but there are better alternatives to a dawn wash. Something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss, Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System (great if you deal with stuff like sap or live somewhere where you get a filmy coating on your truck), Meguiars Super Degreaser. A foam gun/cannon helps to strip wax when using any of the products I mentioned above.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Will the claybar get off the dryed up water spots? I guess its oxidation. I compounded and waxed one side of my truck and it made it look a lot better but you can still see the spots. The compound will take it off but I had to rub the h*LLC out of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have to looking into something else other then dawn now. I only use it before I clay bar and after so out of the 5 years I have had it its only had dawn on it 20 times.

I try to keep it as clean as I possibly can (right now its killing me because we are in a drought so no washing of cars period so I have to bucket wash it at the quarter wash). Once a year I pull then interior completely out to shampoo the carpet and really clean my seats.

I know a ton of detailers that use Dawn soap to strip old wax, never heard of anyone saying it will eat the clear...I've heard stuff like shampoo and dishwasher detergent doing clear damage; but there are better alternatives to a dawn wash. Something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss, Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System (great if you deal with stuff like sap or live somewhere where you get a filmy coating on your truck), Meguiars Super Degreaser. A foam gun/cannon helps to strip wax when using any of the products I mentioned above.
THANKS Im going to look into those!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will the claybar get off the dryed up water spots? I guess its oxidation. I compounded and waxed one side of my truck and it made it look a lot better but you can still see the spots. The compound will take it off but I had to rub the h*LLC out of it.
With the detail jobs I've done, I typically deal with hard water spots (from stuff like sprinklers). The guy I bought my truck from ran it through the car wash so Im working on getting all those scratches out, but I detailed a Nissan in the spring and I used a mild compound (Menzerna Power Finish (PO 203)) and it worked well. A lot of guys run into two problems...
1. they use a heavy compound like turtle wax...itll take the spots off but it will leave marring behind.
2. they use too mild of a polish or one with a lot of oils which tends to hide the spots.
You're issue seems to be etching, it can happen from water, and is very common with bird bombs and bug guts, its important to wash that stuff off right away. The only thing that will get rid of the etch is a good compounding or very light wetsanding.

Jonny B-
I'm living in an apartment at school right now, so I find myself at the quarter wash doing a bucket wash once a week, its a real pain. I rinse the whole truck, run around like a mad man washing, and try to rinse before any of the soap dries....it ends up being (2) 5 minute wash sessions, costing 4 bucks. Looks like you have a black/blue truck....my advice to you is to try and keep your washing technique as gentle as possible. Two bucket wash, a soft wash media, and a good waffle weave drying towel. Something you might want to look into since you're dealing with water issues is a product called ONR made by Optimum. Its basically a rinseless wash that works pretty well, you might find yourself having to change out the water in your wash bucket half way through though depending on how dirty your truck is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wash, clay, polish, wax. You can skip the polish if you like but thats what really brings out the shine in paint. Clay bar will not affect the clear coat if you have plenty of lube and you constantly knead the clay so you're not dragging contaminants across the paint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but white distilled vinegar takes off water spots easily. Yes clay bar works, many of the brands in your local auto supply store work just as good as the "exotic" brands you buy mail order, I thought the Maguires worked as good as anything I tried. There was a brand I tried that wasn't as good, Mr clay or somthing like that. Also, clay bar works good on windshields (believe it or not).

·
blk 7.3
71 Posts
Wash, clay, polish, wax. You can skip the polish if you like but thats what really brings out the shine in paint. Clay bar will not affect the clear coat if you have plenty of lube and you constantly knead the clay so you're not dragging contaminants across the paint.
Thanks this has been very helpful

1 - 20 of 26 Posts