Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to PowerStrokes and new to the forum here. I recently purchased an '06 F-250 with the famous 6.0L; it runs well but I was hoping for a little better fuel economy. Right now I'm averaging about 16MPG unloaded; at least 65% of my driving is on the highway. I've changed the oil and used a diesel additive, I use a diesel additive for lubricity and cetane, I'm not in the pedal too hard and I cruise on the interstate between 65-72; is there a mod that can help improve fuel economy? The truck is a daily driver and I tow occasionally (tow mileage is not a part of my avg).

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
:whs: that should help with mileage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys; what mileage should I be able to expect with the tuner? I have a 1985 F-700 with an 8.2L Detroit in it that gets 16MPG with a dump load of dirt!

BTW: I really love my SuperDuty; much better feel than the '07 Chevy that the guy running the red light took care of for me!

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Are you hand calculating this mileage? The computer in the truck in the cluster is more unreliable than anything. An SCT would help, I generally get 16-20 highway driving @70 mph. Also, a turbo back exhausts system would significantly help too. For $400 or $500 it would pay for itself quickly. Maybe look into some of the vendors here.. MBRP being one of them.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
It all depends on how ya drive it. with my 7.3 in its hottest tune and driving it like I own it I can manage 20mpg during the summer.... but then I keep talling myself to that its a 3/4 ton truck it aint gonna get that great of mpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'm hand calculating; this truck doesn't have a mileage calculator in it. I don't think I'm running a winter blend as I am on the mid-Gulf coast of Florida; we hit freezing in my city this year for the first time in 28 years.

I was thinking about the exhaust upgrade; maybe time to do more than think...

·
Registered
151 Posts
might want to look into a tuned FICM also. I have found that to make the most difference in MPG so far, combined with a SCT custom tune

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought "chipping for mileage" was just what we tell our wives so they'll let us buy the programmers we really want for POWA!! LOL

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
I thought "chipping for mileage" was just what we tell our wives so they'll let us buy the programmers we really want for POWA!! LOL
:whs:LOL

·
Registered
675 Posts
sct with elite tunes didnt do anything for milage on my friends truck, i have heard several people say sct is a safe tuner because it doesn't add alot of timing. The best way to get better fuel milage is to increase cylinder pressure im not sure what kind of timing that they use on the sct's but a good 5-6 degrees advanced would be about perfect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm thinking it's time to get a tuner...
Seems like the SCT is the choice of most on here; is there a sponsor of the site who has good prices?

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
With the truck in my sig, I averaged 22mpg last year coming home from TS in Bowling Green. 70-75 mph the whole way (except in Lexington). Got my tunes from Eric at Innovative Diesel. So IMO the custom tuned SCT is the way to go on the 6.0. Also want to look into getting you some gauges to monitor everything. I have mine on the A-pillar. Just my .02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts