Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
White lightnin'
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and I would like to know what would be better for my truck which is a stock 2wd 2003 F250 7.3 with 337,000 miles and a 4R100 automatic. Which would be cheaper a chip or programmer? Which would build more power? Just looking for some opinions here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Custom tunes on a chip, something mildly tuned i would think having that many miles.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Chip by far. No unloading or loading tunes. Just turn a knob to go from towing to all power.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I'm new here and I would like to know what would be better for my truck which is a stock 2wd 2003 F250 7.3 with 337,000 miles and a 4R100 automatic. Which would be cheaper a chip or programmer? Which would build more power? Just looking for some opinions here.
You all aint answering the OP's question.A programer would be cheaper and alittle more simpler,but fer over all performance a chip is the only way to go for a 7.3L.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
You all aint answering the OP's question.A programer would be cheaper and alittle more simpler,but fer over all performance a chip is the only way to go for a 7.3L.
I beg to differ.

Most programmers will run you along the lines of $425-$600 depending on what brand it is (unless it is bought used).

Some vendors will sell a chip with 3-6 tunes for around $400.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
TS chip on ebay for like 225 buy it now. If your wanting cheap. If you wanna do it right the first time go throught one of site sponsers. maybe Matt with Gearhead?:poke:

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I beg to differ.

Most programmers will run you along the lines of $425-$600 depending on what brand it is (unless it is bought used).

I have about 4,7.3 progammers here on the shelf i would sell for less than $250 some evan have custom tunes.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I beg to differ.

I think you need to re-read my post....Since you seem to know it all....

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Tuner with custom tunes for your truck considering the milage would be a lot safer. Most programmers are in the $400 range and a tuner such as a dp with a few mild tunes won't cost much more. Just wait till you have the $$$$ and get a tuner from someone on here, you'll be glad you did down the road. Just make sure to give them as much info as you can including the milage. Just my $.02

Make sure to get guages first!!!!

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
the only programmer id go with is a cust tuned sct3 type from dp or elite etc..
chips plenty of ts choices and one dp choice (diff chip styles).
but save some coins with 300plus k your turbo injs, and tranny are getting
on the endangered species list.... but all can be replaced with better, stronger parts, and you will get better mileage if you can control your feet.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Tuners suck. Wait a sec Mustang, you wanna race, give me a minute let me load my race tune.

Chip, Mustang wanna play, click, click, see ya.

You can buy used TS chips all day long for pretty cheap. You can have ten to fifteen good tuners throw a few tunes on there for you. The out of the box custom tunes will be way better than some generic tunes from some company that stopped writing tunes for the 7.3 five or six or ten years ago.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You want the best way to figure out whats the best way to go? Take a look on this 7.3 board and see how many are running chips versus programmers. I would figure 1% probably less run a programmer. EVERYONE esle runs chips. You need to take you engines mileage into consideration on running the tunes hard.

I would suggest getting tunes froma tunner that is know for running very safe tunes liekthe ones you woudl wnat for a PMR engine. You have te best take on the condition of the motor. I would talk to a tuner like Matt at gearhead, Swamps, PHP, or Beans as they all have excellent reps and you wil hear next to no negs from any of their customers. They will be able to be to set you up with tunes that will work best for your engine.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
:whs:

Talk with a good tuner like Matt at Gearhead or Bill at PHP or Swamps or DI or anyone that does good custom tuning and they will set you up with what you need for your truck to make it run perfect.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The only thing that I can add is the good tuners also tune the transmission shift points, converter lock up etc.

Programmers usually don't do much if anything to the tranny, other then make it fail quicker.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
You want the best way to figure out whats the best way to go? Take a look on this 7.3 board and see how many are running chips versus programmers. I would figure 1% probably less run a programmer. EVERYONE esle runs chips. You need to take you engines mileage into consideration on running the tunes hard.

I would suggest getting tunes froma tunner that is know for running very safe tunes liekthe ones you woudl wnat for a PMR engine. You have te best take on the condition of the motor. I would talk to a tuner like Matt at gearhead, Swamps, PHP, or Beans as they all have excellent reps and you wil hear next to no negs from any of their customers. They will be able to be to set you up with tunes that will work best for your engine.
Yeah, you wanna make sure you have a low lileage motor, kinda like my 270K

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Ahhhh

:grouphug:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

No NO keep watching. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts