Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine borrowed my pcm (XLE) and my chip, he claimed he pulled the chip wire and the truck died. I went there, and he ended up frying the PCM. Swapped in his stock one, truck ran. A bit pissed, I though only the PCM was fried, then some people on here told me it can take out a chip also.

He ended up finding me a donor truck, that I pulled my new used motor I needed, along with a spare trans/transfer case, NVK coded PCM, and a spare IDM. Needless to say I am not pissed anymore, since I did get the parts I needed at some sort of a deal.

My question is this, my chip is coded for XLE, my new PCM is NVK, what will happen if the chip is fried, and I stick it in the NVK? I want to test the chip to be sure it is not blown before I get it retuned for the NVK. Will it take out the PCM if the chip is fried, or will it not run due to the families not being the same? Its the old TS 4 position chip if that makes a difference.

TIA

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
If the chip is fried it will not hurt the PCM... Just wont work.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
But I'd just send the chip back without trying it and get it reburnt or buy a new chip. XLE chip doesn't work well on an NVK PCM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts