Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro is looking at getting a 97 Chevy 2wd Reg. Long Box Pickup with a 4.6 V6 motor and is asking me questions. I dont know a dam thing bout chevy. So my question for you all is what is the good and bad things about these motors? I'm gunna go talk to our mechanic tomarrow some time and see what he says. Thanks in advance.

·
redneck engineer
482 Posts
i dont think chevy had a 4.6 i could be wrong but your probly got a 4.3 and if its a vortec they are junk they are bad with fuel systems the rail will rust from the inside out and fuel pumps are notorious for going out to did i mention there not cheap to replace either

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We had two vans with the 4.3. Both had close to 250k when we sold them. Pretty solid motor from my experiences.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The 4.3's aren't bad, they have a few issues, the biggest being leaking intake manifolds and water pumps. Other than that, I've seen a few in work vans go 200k+.

It's a 350 minus 2 cylinders.

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 4.3's aren't bad, they have a few issues, the biggest being leaking intake manifolds and water pumps. Other than that, I've seen a few in work vans go 200k+.

Dave
+1. Great motor and it takes a good ass kickin. Gotta keep an eye on the spider injection, you can hear it start to fail at idle. Alot of times it'll give it a bit of a lope in the idle. Other than that, intake gaskets and water pump its a solid engine.

·
blame the dog..
1,945 Posts

Dave
umm.. no, that would be the now defunct 229... 90* odd-fire motor.. which in essence was, literally, a 305 with 5 & 6 hacked out of the middle..

4.3 is a 60* even-fire.. big brother to the 2.8, 3.1, & 3.4

they're good motors, but like Smokey said, the intakes leak like sieves on them.. use the FelPro replacement gasket.. throw those plastic carrier ones in the dump...

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
We had a '87 GMC mini-van with the 4.3 and a 5spd manual. I wish we could get another brand new one just like it.

It served us real well until our son got his drivers license. I suspected he was beating the crap outta it.

Over the years, I started hearing stories from his buddies exactly how badly he abused the vehicle. They more than confirmed my suspicions.

But he's more than made up for it over the last few years.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
my friend has an 89 blazer with the 4.3 in it and it is a pretty good little motor, he beats the living chit outa that thing and it keeps on tickin, i a little low on power but im used to my 7.3 LOL but it gets the job done

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
I had a '94 Sonoma with the 4.3L. Had 218K on it when I decided to rebuild it with an edelbrock intake, crane cam, headers, throttle body spacer, and I cut the air filter intake for an open apperance as well as rounded the hood at back for a cowl effect. Still running strong when I traded it in at 67K for the truck I'm using now. The motor was fine, I just had to keep replacing clutches. :doh: (Doesn't help pulling trees across fields) Last one I went with was I believe a 12" clutch to replace the "dual friction" one with weights.

·
Registered
886 Posts
umm.. no, that would be the now defunct 229... 90* odd-fire motor.. which in essence was, literally, a 305 with 5 & 6 hacked out of the middle..

4.3 is a 60* even-fire.. big brother to the 2.8, 3.1, & 3.4

they're good motors, but like Smokey said, the intakes leak like sieves on them.. use the FelPro replacement gasket.. throw those plastic carrier ones in the dump...
Umm.. no, the 4.3 IS a V8 minus 2 cylinders. Same water pump, timing chain and cover, etc. If taken care of they are a great engine.

The Chevrolet 90° V6 family of engines began in 1978 with the Chevrolet 200 cid (3.3 L) V6 as the base engine for the all new 1978 Chevrolet Malibu. This engine family is still produced today, as the 4.3 L V6 engine used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks and vans.

These engines have a 90° vee block with 12 valves activated by a pushrod valvetrain. All engines have cast iron blocks and cylinder heads. The engines are based on the Chevrolet Small-Block engine, and the V6 is formed by the removal of the #3 and #6 cylinders. The V6s share the same 4.4" bore spacing and 9.025" deck height as the V8 engines. Many parts are interchangeable between the 90° V6 and the small block V8 including valvetrain components, bearings, piston assemblies, lubrication and cooling system components, and external accessories.[1] The 90-degree V6 engine uses the same transmission bellhousing pattern as the Chevrolet small-block V8 engine. The oil pan dipstick is located on the passenger side above the oil pan rail; this design was phased in on both the V6-90 and Small Block Chevrolet assembly lines sharing the same casting dies. All the engines use a 1-6-5-4-3-2 firing order.[2] The engines in this family are longitudinal engines, and have only been used in rear-wheel drive cars and trucks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I should add that the 229 was just a smaller version of a 4.3 so I agree with you about that. I am kind of surprised that an ASE mechanic with 32 years of experience did not know a 4.3 is essentially a small block minus 2 cylinders. They look almost exactly the same. Not trying to be a prick but all of the accessories exchange, same transmission bolt pattern, and until they introduced the balance shaft the timing chain cover along with the timing chain was the exact same part.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i have a 98 4.3 with 160k as my daily driver the little chits run!!! mine has beaten quite a few chipped 24 valves its pretty embarassing. been through two intake gaskets and one water pump, newer ones are bad with fuel pumps been through 2 at 300 a pop. I hand calculated 23.87 a couple weeks ago for mpg, i beat on this thing and it will typically never fail im impressed

·
Registered
886 Posts
The engines are based on the Chevrolet Small-Block engine, and the V6 is formed by the removal of the #3 and #6 cylinders.
I guess I should proof read when I copy and paste LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
4.3 is a excellent motor.... working on swapping a CPI version into my 93 yota rockcrawler

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
+1. Great motor and it takes a good ass kickin. Gotta keep an eye on the spider injection, you can hear it start to fail at idle. Alot of times it'll give it a bit of a lope in the idle. Other than that, intake gaskets and water pump its a solid engine.
It's a full size... so no spider. The 4.3 is a 4"x3.48" stroke (same as 350) throttle body injection and on a 97' they were 205hp IIRC. My last 1 went 410k and it still runs today. Very good engines, much better than the 305. I got a set of headman header and Edlebrock single plain for 1 and put them on a 94 S10 when the spider went bad. With just those changes and 1.7 full roller rockers it went 13.90's at 105 with a 5 speed. :evil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts