Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I WANT IT NASTY
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of searching, maybe I'm not doing it right but my first question is what chems do I use when I flush my coolant system, second how much of it do I need, third how to do it??? I'm curious to who has used what and how well it worked and how much crap came out??? Thanks fellers.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Believe it or not, the only "chemical" you need to flush a radiator, is Cascade powdered dishwashing detergent.

Industrial / Big-Rig diesel mechanics have been using it for years.

Drain your radiator at the petcock, fill it back up about 1/2 way, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of Cascade, then top it off with water.

Get it up to operating temperature and run it (high idle or on-road) for 20 minutes, then flush with tap water.

I work for a company that has a LOT of off-road diesel equipment (CAT, Cummins, Komatsu and etc.....). They utilize this process quite often.

FWIW,....
Cummins Operation and Maintenance Manuals for B Series Diesel Engines: Coolant System Flushing: Use 0.5 kilogram (1.0 pound) of Sodium Carbonate (aka Cascade) for every 23 liters (6.0 gallons) of Water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
flushed mine out over the last couple days. 2 nights ago got engine hot and drained out as mush ford gold coolant as ossible and ran engine with the hose in the degas bottle for around an hour draining out of the petcock. next moring put in two bolltes of ford vc-9 ($64.00) and drove to cat dealer to pick up 4 gallons of cat 1 concentrate ($98.00)left in runnung of course and then drove home 35 mile like a bat out of help. drained again at home and reflushed again about 1/2 hour with hose again. next added 2 bottles of prestone flush plus ($15.00) and ran of 1/2 hour at varing rpms and allowed it to reach 200 degrees by mt cts. drained again and began to fill with distilled water 3 1/2 gallons at a time and ran in driveway and allowed to get to 200 degrees each time and would flush and refill for a total of 18 gallons of distilled water (18.00). then drained and refilled with catapillar elc 3 1/2 gallons and toped off with distilled water and have been seeing ect and eot delta around 2-3 degrees different. hope it stays that way, and all the time and trouble and diesel fuel will have been worth it. topped it off today with a little CAT-ELC logo painted on degas bottle and radiator shroud so some idiot at the service center dosnt destroy all my hard work and money..

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i used prestone coolent flush in my truck my work car, and my wifes lancer.
put prestone 150,000 mile fuild back in have not had any problems out of none of them

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Believe it or not, the only "chemical" you need to flush a radiator, is Cascade powdered dishwashing detergent.

Drain your radiator at the petcock, fill it back up about 1/2 way, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of Cascade, then top it off with water.

Get it up to operating temperature and run it (high idle or on-road) for 20 minutes, then flush with tap water.

I work for a company that has a LOT of off-road diesel equipment (CAT, Cummins, Komatsu and etc.....). They utilize this process quite often.

FWIW,....
Cummins Operation and Maintenance Manuals for B Series Diesel Engines: Coolant System Flushing: Use 0.5 kilogram (1.0 pound) of Sodium Carbonate (aka Cascade) for every 23 liters (6.0 gallons) of Water.
That sounded like a good idea until I read that the second chemical is sodium silicate which is what we are trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
53 Posts

This is what we use at the truck dealer I work at and been doing that for quite a while now that way with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts