Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...Today I installed my DPP intercooler boots on my truck. I have a Tymar style intake, and while it was off, my three year old decided to put a screw driver bit(s) in the intake. I didn't notice and reinstalled the intake. On the test drive I floored it, heard a slight metallic rattle, then a low whine from the turbo at even the smallest amount of boost. It did still make 15lbs of boost after the rattle. I limped the truck home and popped off the intake and noticed the longer impellar blades on the turbo are tore up pretty bad, but the shorter blades look fine. I looked in the intake and found a screwdriver bit, but I'm not entirely sure it was the only one. :doh:

Two scenarios:

1) He only placed one bit in the intake, it hit the longer impellar blades and shot back into the filter element.

or

2) He put multiple bits in the intake and one made it through the turbo and is now in the intercooler?

Which scenario is more likely?

If it is in the intercooler, could it pass through the intercooler and into the engine? or is that unlikely?

I ordered a new wheel and will be installing it when it arrives. I just want to know how far to tear into this thing looking for the other potential bit.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
i dont think it could make its way out of the IC..i think it will most likely stick to left over oil in the IC...

ooops Tom beat me too it...

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
From experience, #1 and #2 are equally likely. It depends on what else was there to distract him.

I'd take the intake apart and check for another bit and leave it at that.
Anything that got past the turbo into the CAC you can leave. The only way it's coming back out is if the truck is upside down, in which case you have bigger problems than a little screwdriver bit in the intake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From experience, #1 and #2 are equally likely. It depends on what else was there to distract him.

I'd take the intake apart and check for another bit and leave it at that.
Anything that got past the turbo into the CAC you can leave. The only way it's coming back out is if the truck is upside down, in which case you have bigger problems than a little screwdriver bit in the intake.
ROFL, thanks for your input guys...I got a WW on the way from DPP. By the way the DPP boots are quality! Props to them for being a great vendor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts