Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so out of the blue this afternoon I hopped into my 96 and started it and the cel came on, I proceeded to leave work to go to lunch and came back with no issues, cel on both ways. I thought "no big deal, Ill just scan it when I get home with ae". So, I go out to start the truck to leave work and still a cel, seemed to run fine. I checked all under the hood connections with no change, cel still on. I proceed to leave work, all of the sudden cel goes off but engine starts to sputter. As I continued to go home, any time the engine would sputter , the cel would go back off while sputtering but come back on and run smooth. The only time it runs rough with cel still illuminated is when I first come to a stop, but it'll clear after a few seconds. Part of the time truck will run perfectly smooth with cel on, but will randomly start the sputtering crap... Needless to say, I left my pro line connector for ae at my parents place and probably wont make it over to get it till Sunday. I drained water from fuel filters (not really any/much in them) and had good fuel flow at drains, fuel pressure at the regulator is still a nice constant 65 psi. Truck seeems to have full power when its not spuddering. Any ideas? Also seems to start fine, battery voltage good, and oil pressure on dash reads good.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and truck ran perfect on the way to work this morning with no cel. And oil was just changed two weeks ago and drove fine till this afternoon. And oil level is still good too

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, got code P1280 Injector Control Pressure sensor circuit low, and P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit intermittent. I believe the P0344 is caused from the ICP acting up. I unplugged the icp and drove around with no issues, no more spuddering, just a CEL. Cleared the code and ran DTC's again with sensor unplugged and only get the icp code. I would assume this means a bad ICP sensor. Any thougts?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Sounds possibly similar. ICP is new out of the plastic from Ford....$250.00 did I mention how much I love buying local....sigh. Just occurred, I'll bet my dash CEL bulb is out, I'll unplug and (CEL) and give it a whirl with no chip too. Really looking forward to AE, hopefully arriving next week along with a Riffraff 6/6 billet wheel and other trinkets.

jrc

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok, got code P1280 Injector Control Pressure sensor circuit low, and P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit intermittent. I believe the P0344 is caused from the ICP acting up. I unplugged the icp and drove around with no issues, no more spuddering, just a CEL. Cleared the code and ran DTC's again with sensor unplugged and only get the icp code. I would assume this means a bad ICP sensor. Any thougts?
Yes, I concur with your diagnostics. It sounds like ICP is going south and when it does the PCM is taking over with pre programmed parameters, throwing a cel, then using different engine sensors to calculate pressure instead of actual ICP information.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Was there any oil in the connector for ICP sensor?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was there any oil in the connector for ICP sensor?
Nope, no oil in it, but my last sensor did have oil in it and never gave me any issues. To add, I did drive about a 30mile round trip today with sensor unplugged and other than a CEL the truck runs fine, so pretty sure that's gotta be it

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds possibly similar. ICP is new out of the plastic from Ford....$250.00 did I mention how much I love buying local....sigh. Just occurred, I'll bet my dash CEL bulb is out, I'll unplug and (CEL) and give it a whirl with no chip too. Really looking forward to AE, hopefully arriving next week along with a Riffraff 6/6 billet wheel and other trinkets.

jrc
I believe my icp sensor is only a year old

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
unplugged mine, CEL came on and still stutters, didn't drive it just let it idle and moved it in the yard. Will mess with it after I get AE.

Glad you have your's figured out looks like it needs a new ICP.

jrc

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By chance did you have it in stock tune, my truck will still have a hard time idling in anything other than stock with icp unplugged.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Correct stock tune (meaning no chip installed), still stutters with ICP unplugged and plugged in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts