Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your brakes that is.

One of the annoyances of driving a Powerstroke is that the things have enough torque to drive OK with a brake or two dragging and not be noticeable.

My MPG dropped off and I checked but it was too late. I had cooked a rotor.

Apparently when the weather is cooler the caliper pin galls and the brakes stick just a little.

When my truck dropped to 19 MPG I knew something was wrong.

·
Sick Sixo
27 Posts
Your brakes that is.

One of the annoyances of driving a Powerstroke is that the things have enough torque to drive OK with a brake or two dragging and not be noticeable.

My MPG dropped off and I checked but it was too late. I had cooked a rotor.

Apparently when the weather is cooler the caliper pin galls and the brakes stick just a little.

When my truck dropped to 19 MPG I knew something was wrong.
My mpg just dropped from 12 to 8, how do you check for brakes dragging? I really need to know asap!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jack the truck up and try to spin each wheel, if you cannot spin them by hand then you have a issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's much more subtle. A brake can be dragging and still be spinnable by hand. Listen for the swoosh of a brake pad only touching the rotor once per revolution. That's what you want. Not a steady drag.

Or, just pop off each pin and lube it eavery time you rotate the tires. The pins are very easy to access.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You cna use an infrared/laser thermometer and read wheel temps. Thats usually only in extreme cases. But still if you have one that is 50-100deg different than the other three, its a pretty good chance thats it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts