Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
You would have to have a lot of tire wear for that to make a difference.

The new thing now is my 4x4 is kicking me out of 4x4 and into 2 wheel drive.

My truck is doing this and we have a 2011 F450 service truck that is doing the same thing and the dealership cant figure out whats wrong with it, they say everything works fine. If it does it again, I can get out and lock my hubs manually.......
Not the reason I bought a truck with electronic 4x4

·
Registered
254 Posts
That sucks, I wouldn't let it go either... Mine tells me that the shift is delayed and to pull forward and then it goes right in after I pull forward. The only thing that I could think is that it needs time to break in, but I'm not sure. It has gotten better though, but that was after a 150 mile trip from Augusta, GA to Savannah, GA in the snow and 4 high. Hope yours gets figured out, these are great trucks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I always buy a truck with a lever and hubs, when i want 4x4, i want 4x4. Never fails.
Then you are never going to buy another new vehicle?

I have made that decision, and looking at the strength of the used trucks' prices with those features, so have a lot of other folks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Then you are never going to buy another new vehicle?

I have made that decision, and looking at the strength of the used trucks' prices with those features, so have a lot of other folks.
My 2011 has a lever, and hubs. Doesnt run, thats another story, but I use 4x all the time when it does, some of the sites i drive into are treacherous. If it ever kicked out on me and wouldn't go back in it would be disasterous.

By lever, I meant the t-case, no electronic switches.

·
Registered
357 Posts
yup if you just can't trust electronics better go back to the ooooollllldddddd days .......a crank handle in the grill :) really at some point you have to start trusting the new stuff. the old auto hubs in the 80's with the stick were far more junky and delicate than these, and they didn't use vacuum and did use a stick to shift the case

·
Registered
871 Posts
I finally got to test out my 4x4 for the first time, we had a bunch of rain down here yesterday which created a ton of mud, Ive been forced into using my truck as a temporary farm truck, i switched it on the fly at around 5mph, it locks in great. The only time that Ive ever got any type of message is when i am in park and switch it to 4, it tells me shift delayed and to pull forward. I have around 16,500 on my truck now and still havent had any type of problems at all. Besides the sh!tty general tires that came stock, they are already wearing down significantly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There has been some wiring issues. Check the gray connector on driver side fender for pushed out/loose pins. Pull on wires and see if they come out. Sometimes the plastic tab that locks the pin in the connector does not catch and may make a bad connection. This bad connection may not be evident until a rainy or wet day (when you need it most).

The clunk noise during 4x4 engagement is normal. When the shift motor locks in 4x4 it will normally make a clunk noise. Nothing to worry about.
Curious if theres a way you could snap a picture of what youre describing?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.