Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes another stupid idea!
Well I have a heavier rear suspension because I need it for the hauling I do, but on my way to pick up the load the ride sucks! unless the road is really smooth it's a bad ride. I've looked at air ride suspension for my truck and I really really don't like the cost, I'd rather deal with the ride than fork over that money!
I was lookin around yesterday and seen a picture of the rear suspension on a smaller international semi tracter that didn't have air ride.

So I was wondering if I could do this? since the truck rides nice with the suspension with a load. If I reduced the main stack of leaf springs down to 2-3 leaves and put the other 2-3 leaves under the overload spring would it work like this settup above?

:doh::poke:

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone tell me anything? good idea, should I give it a try. Or do you guys think it won't work out.
Just looking for ideas for improving my ride down the road without spending alot of money!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well here goes another stupid idea!
Well I have a heavier rear suspension because I need it for the hauling I do, but on my way to pick up the load the ride sucks! unless the road is really smooth it's a bad ride. I've looked at air ride suspension for my truck and I really really don't like the cost, I'd rather deal with the ride than fork over that money!
I was lookin around yesterday and seen a picture of the rear suspension on a smaller international semi tracter that didn't have air ride.

So I was wondering if I could do this? since the truck rides nice with the suspension with a load. If I reduced the main stack of leaf springs down to 2-3 leaves and put the other 2-3 leaves under the overload spring would it work like this settup above?

:doh::poke:

All is not exactly what it seems. If you look at what I highlighted in red, that is actually what I would refer to as a axle locating link. Im almost 100% that only goes from the front hangar, to the axle. All its purpose in life, is to keep the axle from moving forward and rearward. The blue, which obviously are the springs, are actually floating, and are not actually bolted to the frame. They slide on the frame brackets instead, which is why there is no shackle, as the springs can extend and retract as necesary.

However, I think your idea is on the right track, you would need a little more arch in the main pack, to make the distance between the overload springs, and the brackets they hit greater, so when you hit a bump, etc you dont hit the new oversized overload leaf setup, you just ride on your now smaller main leaf setup. So overall, your rearend height would have to be raised some, to achieve the same loaded height, and maintain a smoother ride while unloaded. I can draw pictures if it helps.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You are correct in that the red highlighted leaf is acting as the fore/aft brace rod and is keeping the axle from moving forward and rearward and this also controls the thrust angle.

Moving leafs from the main pack to the over-loads in a SD isn't all that great of an idea as that will also affect the suspensions ability to keep the axle under control during loaded and cycling modes of operation.

You think your truck rides bad go for a ride unloaded with no trailer on that little Corn Binder and see what you think. It's a truck, they ride like trucks. Even air ride trucks ride bad. Our heavy haul trucks will launch you outta the seat unloaded on the roads around here. Loaded air ride is a bit nicer, but it also has a lot more stuff to go wrong. No one likes changing a level valve on the side of the freeway in the snow.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty that makes sense, I have 5 leaves plus the overload spring from a pack off of a F550. I'm almost sure those leaves are thicker than the 350 duallys? But so far I haven't used my overload spring much, so I'm thinking maybe just cut the main pack down to 4 and use the overload spring more...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts