Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
If your referring to the turbo, get a ported housing, or a 1.0 exhaust housing. This has been mentioned to you in your old thread. If your stock turbo is surging or chattering, these are the solutions. It WILL fix it. The WW might fix it, as you have found out it doesnt always work. Or better yet, upgrade to a better tubo instead of throwing money at the stocker

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So chatter and surge are pretty close to the same?

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
Dude... It's a DESCRIPTION... How does anyone know what's going on? Surge kinda sounds like a chatter....

When mine did it, it sounded like...

ch,ch,ch,ch,ch,ch

But what does that say??

If you're "surging" and "chattering" you could be doing the same thing...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Use the interweb and do a search, or better yet use the search function on the sight. I found videos within 3 minutes by typing in turbo surge or turbo chatter. Do a little research and if you cant find anything, then make a post about it.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea ive done the searches. And research. Everyone gets it when they are speeding up it seems like. I hear one thing one from one guy and another from a different one. One says surge the other chatter. Sorry for the trouble

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The differnces, how every we each want to type out text to descibe the sound, one come when you let off throttle while puling hard (stall). The other comes while you are pulling hard (surge). With open air fitlers you will hear stall much louder than a box. It is also something I guess you could say you can almost feel. It sure sounds like what you are speaking of is stall not actual surge.

I this sound youa re hearing happn when you let off the throttle? I think I read somehwere that you stated that. Do you have a open air fitler? Did you notice after you installed it maybe along with a chip? If this is the case there is nothing out of the norm and nothing to do about it. You can hear completely stock trucks do it if you switch to a open air fitlers that allows the sounds out. Switching from a stock box to open causes a dramatic chang in the sounds you are able to here coming from the intake.

Edited for update

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i just took the whole chip out of the truck to make this trip this morning. Still there. It seems to do it while im just driving. no acceleration or anything. just cruising. It will also do it when i am slowing down as well. One time while it happened i put the thing in Neutral to see if i could get the turbo to slow down and it was still there for bout 10 seconds while i coasted then it just quit. If surge isnt the prob i hate to spend $400 bucks on a housing i dont need i guess. Just confusing as hell.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
963 Posts
Well i just took the whole chip out of the truck to make this trip this morning. Still there. It seems to do it while im just driving. no acceleration or anything. just cruising. It will also do it when i am slowing down as well. One time while it happened i put the thing in Neutral to see if i could get the turbo to slow down and it was still there for bout 10 seconds while i coasted then it just quit. If surge isnt the prob i hate to spend $400 bucks on a housing i dont need i guess. Just confusing as hell.
What you are describing is not surge.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It almost sounds like you might be describing your wheel making contact with the housing. Have you pulled your intake tube off and checked your compressor wheel and shaft for movement? Very slight movement from side to side or up and down is somewhat normal. Any movement in and out isn't good. If this is what is going on you will be looking at a new turbo, not just a housing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.