Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going i have a 1999 7.3, i plow snow with it and last storm it was acting weird, when i would lift the plow the lights would dim to nothing, and the battery voltage would drop below 6v, and the battery light came on as well, so automatically i assumed it was the alternator, so i had one built 240amp, i install it, charge the batteries back to 13.8v, go to start the truck and the second it starts the battery voltages drop to 12.3v,and stays there at an idle, i then brought the engine rpm up to about 1800rpm and the battery light inside the truck went off as well as the alternator was pushing out the right amount of voltage, of about 14.3v, so my ultimate question is why doesn't the truck push enough voltage at idle? I did have the guy who built the alternator go to a smaller pulley then what was one there the first try and it still did the same thing.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bad batteries possibly or a loose connection somewhere.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Will

·
Registered
574 Posts
Trace all your ground wires. install new ones, if necessary, or even add additional ones.
I added a new one at starter mounting bolt I had similiar charging issues. Got two new batteries and alternator, I went through three. Right now, been good for 6+months

1 - 5 of 5 Posts