Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 1996 powerstroke f superduty 5 spd. I having some overcharging issues. I noticed my gauge when started stays on 8 in the red and the longer i drive the higher it gets til pegged out on 18 in the red put a new alternator and load tested the batteries, and still same problem. Alternator gets pretty hot. Also checked connections. Not quite sure where to go from there. Any suggestions?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Make sure the system voltage really is that high, measure the voltage at the batteries themselves.

Then ya need a schematic to know how the system works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sorry for the delay was on vacation. Checked alternator, its putting out 14.3 at idle and the charge on the batteries is 14.2 at idle. The gauge was pegged on 18. But i did tap the dash where the gauge is and it was moving til it got to 18. So im goin to assume its a bad gauge?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Yep, or bad connection or wiring right behind it. unlikely though since it goes up instead of down.

·
Administrator
8,619 Posts
sounds like a bad gauge to me.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
The first thing that you need to do is to get a meter and measure the voltage output of the alternator and see what it is.

You will have a low reading for the first couple of minutes after starting due to the glow plugs staying on for that long. But after that it should be around 14 volts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Odds are then that it is your gauge or the gauge cluster. I don't know if you can replace them independly or if you would need to replace all of them. There might be a resistor burned out on the PC board.

You would need to pull the whole cluster out to check it out or if it was me I would just pick up a single volt gauge and mount it somewhere that you could see it

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The PC board is just traces. All the "stuff" is in the gauge heads. Volt and fuel gauges are ganged together in one section; each section just presses onto the cluster body. You can pull each section out by hand after removing the lens; cluster can stay in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea watched a youtube vid on how to tear it apart doesn't seem to hard they come out individually, mine the volt and fuel gauge is one, just have to locate one. But i may just put a gauge on the a-piller for now til i find a replacment. I really appreciate all you guys help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts