Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking off changing all of my fluids out to synthetic but am unsure which is better bang for the buck I am caught between Royal purple and Shaefers if im paying more for one does it justify the difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Go to Amsoil, become a prefered customer or a dealer if you like and get a discount on the oil. Have it delivered to your front door.
I saw a 2 mpg increase when I changed. along with 10,000 mile oil change, or even longer with a bypass system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a friend who changed to synthetic motor oil after running conventional for over 100,000 miles and his heads leaked pretty bad and then the motor locked up. I don't know if i believe what the mechanic told him... but it was along the lines of the synthetic busted a bunch of deposits loose then they fell down and clogged up the screen and filter so the engine couldn't get oil thus causing it to lock up. if any one wants to confirm or bust my myth feel free...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that would be terrible I hope that thats not true

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
yikes..

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
The only way that would happen is if the previous oil used was coking up very badly due to abouse and non-maintenance.

Switching to full synth will not hurt a thing if your engine is in good running condition has been even halfway properly maintained.

Rotella 5-40 synthetic or Schaffer's is the only thing I would use.

Royal Purple is junk

·
Registered
650 Posts
+1 for the Schaeffers 9000 5w40

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
I'm running Mobil 1 Synthetic 5-40 at the moment. I'm gonna try to do an O.A on it when its run its course

·
Bleau May
633 Posts
I am a Schaeffer oil fan and have also used Amsoil products in the past. The contents of the Amsoil weren't friendly to my axle seals and they leaked.

I use 7000 engine oil but during a cold winter climate I would go with 9000.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much am i looking to spend on the shaffers oil

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
It's impossible for the engine to "lock up", being that the oil that drives the injectors would stop flowing when the oil for the bearings did... unless it wasn't a powerstroke.

I switched from Rotella to Schaeffers 7000 and have been very surprised. I never placed much stock in oil before, but it will really take a beating and not aerate badly. Pressure stays higher and some minor leaks have stopped.

I haven't run it for more than 1000 or so miles yet, but it is exceeding the Rotella so far.

I have never run Royal Purple.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
It's impossible for the engine to "lock up", being that the oil that drives the injectors would stop flowing when the oil for the bearings did... unless it wasn't a powerstroke.

I switched from Rotella to Schaeffers 7000 and have been very surprised. I never placed much stock in oil before, but it will really take a beating and not aerate badly. Pressure stays higher and some minor leaks have stopped.

I haven't run it for more than 1000 or so miles yet, but it is exceeding the Rotella so far.

I have never run Royal Purple.

Good Luck.

Friend of mine has, and has UOA results, and it sucks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea about how much would it cost all to gether to go with shaffers for both engine and tranny and RP for the axles

·
Registered
26 Posts
A quote from a buddy of mine, who builds racing engines, when I asked him if running Royal Purple would help was "I wouldn't put that #### in my lawn mower!" He said engines that had run with it came in extremely dirty inside and had damage that shouldn't have happened with regular maintenance and good oil.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its good to hear the truth about royal purple with all this proaganda about how great it is and how exspensive it is im glad that what yall are letting me and hopefully others know will help them out too

·
Registered
62 Posts
A quote from a buddy of mine, who builds racing engines, when I asked him if running Royal Purple would help was "I wouldn't put that #### in my lawn mower!" He said engines that had run with it came in extremely dirty inside and had damage that shouldn't have happened with regular maintenance and good oil.
It may have had nothing to do with oil or Royal Purple. Engines breakdown and have all sorts of problems all the time...which may have nothing to do with oil.

I don't believe any SAE rated oil properly used will be bad enough to be the full cause of the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That should be the case, however, I've known this guy for fifteen years and trust his judgement. If an engine came back to the shop with issues due to poor manufacturing, faulty material of the part or poor maintenance on the part of the owner etc, that's what he would have blamed it on. The same racers who, previously had used the oil he recommended with no issues, switched to Royal Purple started having oil related failures.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts