Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am considering making the switch from Rotella T to T6 synthetic. Im not a big fan of synthetic oils, and we all have our reasons one way or the other, but thats not the point of discussion here.

My question is what else should I do to flush the engine before changing?

My thinking is that not only am I switching from dino oil to synthetic, but Im also switching viscosity, so wouldn't it be more important than normal to get as much as possible of the old out first?

Is there any other place that holds a lot of oil like the HPOP res? How do I go about draining the HPOP res?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the left over quart or so of standard rotella wont affect it im guessing...?

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you want suck the oil out of the HPOP.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've switched back and forth with no ill effects. Just change it. I wouldn't bother with the HPOP.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You might think it's running a little different than your used to but that's just because you changed viscosity. It will be fine. Just change it like normal.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
When I switched I vacuumed out the hpop and just let the oil drain really good out of the pan after sitting all night. Worked great and refilled the hpop and crankcase and off I went. Best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, thanks for all the input everyone. You all are starting to convince me to go where I always said I wouldnt, to the synthetic more expensive side.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Like everyone else said, drain the old oil, refill with t6 and be done with it.

You'll notice a whole world of difference on them cold morning starts. I'm really happy I made the switch this year.

Walmart sells the gallons of t6 for $20, and if they don't have it, advanced auto (normally $30/gallon) will price match walmart.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm changing also, I'm getting sick of plugging in and the cold romping, so I found a good deal on Amazon,

·
Registered
134 Posts
im going to hijack a little here...why Rotella over Delo Synthetic Oil? The price is the same...thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm rapid city and run T6. Started up just fine this morning, it was 1 degree here I also run AR9100 I'm not sure if it makes a big difference at these temps... Anyway I just swapped no vac. Etc

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Btw I wasn't plugged in either

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
change the oil like you would any other time. I wouldnt waste time draining HPOP res.

·
Registered
307 Posts
im going to hijack a little here...why Rotella over Delo Synthetic Oil? The price is the same...thanks
My local parts store doesn't have the Delo synthetic, and I didn't see it on Amazon either, and I've read some good things about the T6.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I run Rotella Dino 15/40 in the summer and T6 5/40 synthetic in the winter. I just change it out like normal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Local guy who works on the 7.3 alot (was a mechanic on the North Slope also where they run alot of them and run them all the time) told me to NOT run the Delo in the 7.3. Said that as he's torn engines down those running T6 have alot less wear. That was good enough for me...

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Lots of guys run Delo on here. Does not mean it is good or bad but it doesn't have a bad reputation that I am aware of.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts