Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background... I moved my truck to the barn this morning to change the FICM. It ran for about 5min. during the move. I wanted to check the FICM so I moved the bottle and pulled out the air filter to access the FICM and did the KOEO test (48 volts). I next cranked to truck up to do the live test and it hit 27 volts. I quickly turned the truck off because I noticed it was starting to run rough. I figured it was something I disconnected. I changed the FICM and put everything back. Now the truck will start but not run and I have a P0046 code, which I have read that it means stuck turbo veins. Why would this be happening now? What can I do about it. I can't believe this is anything major,but I don't know what to do. NATION BAIL ME out of this Sunday afternoon nightmare..... I knew I should have went to church today.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I reset the ecm? I'm reading the codes off of my scanguage, I did reset it and it came up again. I was able to drive it down the road, but it wasn't the truck I had yesterday. Idles/runs very rough. FICM was supposed to be the ready fro my truck. I'm thinking of putting my old one back on to see if its any better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you check voltage on the new ficm? and it may be an injector thats what mine did after ficm swap ran ruff and had like a surge to it so i took it to my mechanic and he said i had a bad injector fixed it and it was fine . but i also had a bad ficm one time . i meant clear the code which u did . my friend has a 04 with 31k on it just sell it and buy this one lol jk i will ask my friend but it should throw injector code but for some reason im thinkin i had the 46 code to .

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
reset codes

if no scanner disconnect the batts for a few
but sounds like you cleared them so ?? I still might try reseting the pcm via tha batts

that code is turbo related however did u disconnect the VGT control wiring??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zmann... I thought I put everything back. Ya.... 0046 is turbo related. Where is the VGT control wiring?

I do have the filter pressure gauge broke. I noticed that when I was putting it back together, but I wouldn't think that would cause this problem. I know I need change the filter, but still I don't think this would cause all these problems.

·
Registered
646 Posts
VGT wiring on the turbo about 3/4 way up on the passenger side (little clip) cant miss it as it's the only thing that plugs into the turbo itself. Then trace it back to the harness it should run between the turbo and oil filter pedestal, just to make sure its not frayed or cut.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the detailed info. I went out and put my old FICM back on an the truck runs fine. I didn't unhook the battery to reset the computer, so my scanguage is still showing the p0046 code. I was trying to clear it off by starting and restarting the truck, then I remembered it took 10 times.

It sounds like the FICM is either bad, or not programmed for my truck. I will check on that in the morning.

·
Registered
98 Posts
who did u get it from ??? i got one from a guy on ebay in cali mark it think was his name and sent it back to him and with no hassle he sent me another one it was the control side was bad not the voltage side . so they can read good voltage and be bad .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts