Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting,

I don't know if karma is kicking my butt right now or what. But I can't believe the coincidence of this if, in fact, it is.

Owned the fantastic '08 F250 CCSB SD for a about 2 1/2 months now. Did an oil change a month ago and did another today. Just my way of being certain I've got the cleanest dinosaur juice in the crank. While I was there, I thought, let's look at that upper fuel filter (low pressure/secondary?). Put that back in after inspecting it, finished the oil change and then did the 6 30 second iterations of charging the fuel system i.e. cycling the ignition key to run (not start) 6 times for 30 seconds, waiting 5 seconds, and then go.

The motor ran for 5 seconds and then quit. Saw the ugly green wrench on the dash and my H&S said it had code 2291 - IPC low pressure - engine cranking.

I did this 3 more times after clearing the code and it repeated each time. I let the truck sit for a couple hours and prayed.

Removed the cap and filter again, closely inspecting it, the filter and the inside of the filter housing. Re-executed the fuel system charge described above. Same result. Vehicle runs for 5 seconds, shuts down, and throws the code. 2291

Help me what am I looking at here? I've read several posts on several forums. I need to understand the best action to take here.

Little help!?!

Thx

·
Registered
406 Posts
why didnt you change that filter when you were inspecting it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this may not be a correct reason, but it is only 3 thousand miles old. Just the first replacement i've made and wanted to see how it looked while I was up there near it when changing the oil.

That's all I've got.

·
Registered
406 Posts
probably got some air in it still unless you dislodged some crap from that filter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning toward air.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Is it possible that you didn't get cap back on tight or damaged the o-ring which is causing air to get into the system? Symptoms definitely sounds like air in the system but I have never had to do the 30 sec x 6 method more than once. Also, when is the last time you drained your water separator. If it were me, if you don't find a bad o-ring or lose cap, I would drain the water separator and go buy filters and replace them. I wouldn't even try to start it cause if you did cause crap to come lose, hopefully it hasn't made it past the fuel bowl (and get into the HPFP). The K16 (HPFP) is not the most durable HPFP in the world.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As it turns out, it was in fact air in the line. However, it was also apparently complicated by the fact that the error had not been cleared. This is speculation but after several more attempts at priming and noticing that the error had not been cleared, then clearing the error and priming again, started the engine. It now runs well again.

As a side note: I have taken this scare as an opportunity to further enhance the reliability of the motor by adding Air Dog II 165, new 6.0 manifolds, new up pipes, down pipe, cold/hot side pipes, pop off valve, full EGR delete, head studs and a Titan 51 gal tank. The last one just because I'm a little lazy and like the opportunity afforded by the extended range to shop for lower priced fuel.

Soon I'll add Mishimoto Radiator & Intercooler, and perhaps upgraded turbos. All the new tubing are going on now in prep for the R & I.

·
Registered
955 Posts
As it turns out, it was in fact air in the line. However, it was also apparently complicated by the fact that the error had not been cleared. This is speculation but after several more attempts at priming and noticing that the error had not been cleared, then clearing the error and priming again, started the engine. It now runs well again.

As a side note: I have taken this scare as an opportunity to further enhance the reliability of the motor by adding Air Dog II 165, new 6.0 manifolds, new up pipes, down pipe, cold/hot side pipes, pop off valve, full EGR delete, head studs and a Titan 51 gal tank. The last one just because I'm a little lazy and like the opportunity afforded by the extended range to shop for lower priced fuel.

Soon I'll add Mishimoto Radiator & Intercooler, and perhaps upgraded turbos. All the new tubing are going on now in prep for the R & I.
That's the spirit. Don't ever waste an opportunity like something may be failing to add more goodies. When I popped a HG a few yrs ago, I did a ported intake manny, 6.0 exh manny, up pipes and a 71. Recently my HPFP started to die so I am doing a LP system (A-1000), 15% nozzles, a WG, and swapping the 71 for a 76. When you the pull the heads, I would highly suggest replacing the rockers and lifters....they are cheap insurance. Also, if you are not doing the work yourself, I would try to plan it out so you can pull the cab the least amount of times possible. Generally, it is will save if you can get all the parts together and do everything at once as many of the things you mentioned don't have to be done cab off, but actually take less time by pulling the cab.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks B585Ford,

There are some things you mentioned re: Cab off work that I hadn't/haven't/won't consider at this time. I'm trying to budget myself. :point laugh:

But speaking of Cab off. She took her top off today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts