Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i changed my oil in my truck and after i filled it up and turned it over and topped it off, and ran it for like 5 mins. i pulled the dipstick and the oil is black like i never even changed it. And all 13 quarts came out and went back in im stumped. Anyone ever here this before and the truck dont run nearly as good as it did, has like a funky miss to it but not really bad. truck has 218k on it, always change my oil every 3,000. Could injectors be to blame for some weird reason since they are orignal. i also have a tony wild man chip on it. all my mods are in my sig. My buddy is gonna run it on his scanner anything i should look for?

·
Registered
262 Posts
If I understand you right.Ur saying that your brand new oil is black after u put it in?
Diesels are just naturally dirty. You can have the drain plug off of the pan dump clean oil through the top and it'll come out the bottom in black.
It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no way i have changed my oil on these trucks alot. and every time i pull the dipstick to check it after i changed it, its always nice and clear. that goes for any motor.

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
its normal. every diesel ive ever had, i would change the oil, start it to get oil pressure up, then check it and its black. my grandpa always said if a diesel dont turn the oil black it aint worth a f*ck.

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
no way i have changed my oil on these trucks alot. and every time i pull the dipstick to check it after i changed it, its always nice and clear. that goes for any motor.
:doh:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I got to say the oil in my ex is clean for at least 1000 miles before it starts turnindark.. I don't know what kindof dirty ass runnin motors y'all r runnin but all my past diesels were the same.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Some of you hacks aren't changing your oil often enough. I can see the hash marks on my dipstick for about 2000 miles after I change my oil.

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
it usually take some miles to dirty up the oil,idk what would cause it to turn black that quick.what oil do you run?

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
My personal truck the oil stays clean for about 2000-2500 miles and then starts to darken a bit. My work trucks are coal black all the time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank u guys thats what i thought. i run vavoline blue heavyduty diesel been running it for years in all my trucks with no problems. could fuel leak into the oil and cause that some how. i know its not coolant cuz my level in my tank has not moved.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Use some cheap oil like Rotella and change the oil every 1000 miles until it cleans up.

I've had engines come in and have problems. I take them apart and clean everything and get all of the oil out of the truck and do 2-3 oil changes and they will go from black on the stick to honey....

·
Registered
487 Posts
i know some people who would run some tranny fluid through the oil for a short time right before tthey would change the oil to clean internals. but that was on gassers and i have no idea if it workes or is a good idea.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use some cheap oil like Rotella and change the oil every 1000 miles until it cleans up.

I've had engines come in and have problems. I take them apart and clean everything and get all of the oil out of the truck and do 2-3 oil changes and they will go from black on the stick to honey....
Thats what i was thinking of doing. could injectors have something to do with it cuz it has a wierd kind of miss i can watch the tack jump at idle, and i get alot of blue smoke when i start the truck. and once in awhile the truck will crank and crank and crank before it starts and i get a big cloud of black smoke then goes to blue.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
I would stick with engine oil or oil additives.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Thats what i was thinking of doing. could injectors have something to do with it cuz it has a wierd kind of miss i can watch the tack jump at idle, and i get alot of blue smoke when i start the truck. and once in awhile the truck will crank and crank and crank before it starts and i get a big cloud of black smoke then goes to blue.
I would suspect compression or leaky valve stem seals. Blue is usually an indicator of oil in the cylinder.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would suspect compression or leaky valve stem seals. Blue is usually an indicator of oil in the cylinder.
guess i need to run a compression test to see whats going on. i thought some blue smoke at start up was normal for these trucks and then goes away once warm.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
Its more so prone on Powerstrokes because there is about 3-4 qts of oil that NEVER gets changed. Unless you drain the head and suck out the HPOP res, its going ot be black no matter what...

I run the AMSOIL DUAL BYPASS filter system.. it takes about 2500 miles til I darken...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts