Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to get a new turbo. I was just wondering if it is worth the cost of having the exhaust housing and up pipes ceramic coated, what are the benefits. I don’t mind spending the money but don’t want to if it will not make much difference. The turbo I am thinking of getting is the garrett 38r with the bellowed up pips.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with coating anything that wasn't prone to heat induced warping or corrosion.

I'm assuming the up-pipes are Stainless? And the housing is definately not going to be an issue.

Only thing I coated were the manifolds and my ductwork for the compounds. And only the insides. If I did it over again I would make the entire system out of 304 stainless and forget the coating now that I know it can be done that way.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I have heard there was a good coating place in SLC so at least it would be east to get done. Jumping off the TN ride?

Tom

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Charles, i thought you were pro-coating insides only, and not the outside, just only for looks really... I learned from you that you want to trap the heat from reaching the pipe (figuratively speaking as far as considering where the coating will go) instead of coating the outside of the pipe and have the pipe heatsoaked and no where to go...?

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
You're absolutely right. I wrote that ass-backward in that post. Do not EVER coat the outside only. Always coat the inside and don't coat the outside unless you have to. And if you have to coat the outside, you then must coat the inside to give it a fighting chance.

Thanks for catching that.

Tom, can you fix that typo so it doesn't give people the wrong idea? I'll send you a PM.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Fixed.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am going to change from the tn. I hope the garrett will work better for me. I was looking at the hte but I don't think I will have the fuel for it.
It sounds like it is a good thing to coat the inside of the housing and up pipes. Are there places that I can order the turbo from that do the coatings or do I need to take the parts in after I buy them.
Thanks for the help.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I would talk to David Lott, I am pretty sure he has a connection with a coater. Some of the other sponsors on here may as well and they might even send you a PM when they spot this thread. Also check the for sale section.

Tom

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I think 304 stainless is much more bling myself.

;)

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Nope. You payed the dollars. Underneath that cheezy coating is 304 stainless.

:poke:

To refresh your memory:

And they look so much cooler when they start turning purple and golden too.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Oh good God, nobody's got that kind of coin.

:hehe:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It sounds like it is a good thing to coat the inside of the housing and up pipes.
I am not sure any of the ceramic coaters will coat the inside of the turbine housing. I know Jet-Hot will only coat the outside. I think the explanation is concern that the ceramic may alter clearances or potentially come off causing damage to the turbine but that is just my WAG.

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
Here is what I do know about coatings. :confused:

1. We were playing with a Toyota custom 2JZ-GTE intake manifold. We did flow testing work on the ports that were ported and smoothed (read polished) and they would flow 390 CFM. We then coated them with a special slick coating, the flow numbers went up to 411 CFM.

2. On circle track header that are of the up and over type, they are hell on the arms when workng on plugs and engine parts when in a panic. I have scars from them. After we coated the headers, they weren't exacty cold, but it was a dramatic difference in there temps

If I would get off my lazy butt, :bowfast: I would pull the stock turbo and coat it inside and out just to see what it does to the numbers. I still wish I had the Garrett turbo RPM counter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts