Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
So run a ground wire from the antenna mount to the cab keeping it as short as possible!

·
Bill
281 Posts
yep, the radios I maintaine on the f16 usualy need a good clean ground or they dont recieve or transmit very well at all. I have heard of some cb tunners actualy running a ground from the antenna to the battery. but imho if you go the frame and the ground cables on the battery's are in good condition it makes no diffrence. they both end up in the same place. the cab has multiple grounding straps to the frame. Thats why I said go their. Im sure others on hear will differ. but from personal experaince when I had the wips mounted threw the fiber glass toneu cover they didnt do as well as when I had them bolted to the bed.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts

·
Bill
281 Posts
pretty standard. they work well with METAL mirrors. I have no experiance with those on plastic mirrors. They would work well if you put them in the stake pockets though. the Reason I didnt go to the mirrors with them is It just seams like the plastic couldnt handle it. a 4 ft whip at highway speeds puts a lot of tension on the mount. My last truck I had a whip that was beat up pretty bad broke off while I was doing about 110 down the high way.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
What do you have? Antenna's similar to those?
And do should I get the springs like you have in your pics even if I decide not to mount them on the mirrors?

·
Bill
281 Posts
from driving threw stuff (trees and drive threw's)all the time I like the springs. they keep the antennas from cracking. But I still loose the end caps all the time. I dont know how they effect transmission but my radio is pretty clear and has a pretty good distance for transmission. the kit looks like just the basic kit you can get at any truck stop. I would run them. they look like the same antennas as mine. if you mount them just to the side of the bed rail they tend to bend up the rail. but if you go to the stake pocket they are pretty strong and can handle those mounts.

My mounts are a piece of 3 in angle iron cut at about a 1 long. with a piece of plate welded on top. the top piece is cut in a triagle to match the angle iron end. with that bolted in the box corners they are extremly tuff. that way you get suport in two directions instead of one.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I'll probably get those antennas, and the same cobra radio you have, I like that one.
I also looked at my roof today, I think that I can mount the Radio up there if I put some kind of plate under the little things that hold the sun visors into place. Screw the plate in underneath it?

·
Bill
281 Posts
I dont know that you can get a 148 up their. they are pretty big. but definitly a ltd classic.Their is a support all the way across the windshield. The cab lights go just behind it. I have seen somewhere somebody used a two part adhesive and glued the mount to the cab and cut slits in the liner to allow it to come threw. Looked pretty good.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
is the ltd classic just the next size down? what's the differences?

·
Registered
579 Posts
if you have the power, lighted heated mirrors, i believe its the blackwire. that is a ground for the mirror you could always tap into that. *just a suggestion*
i also have my radio mounted where the brack controller traditionally is, and my antenna wire runs under the dash to each door, up over the door under the roof liner, to about mid position on my extended cab doors, and then it just goes out the door, and into the bed under my crossover tool box, i have two four foot whips mounted to the aft side of my toolbox. that seems to work pretty well for me, the only thing i ran into with my tool box is i had to run a ground to the bed.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
yeah, I have power mirrors but they aren't hooked up. So I'm just going to run a ground wire just inside the door probably and I found a few pictures of some people that mounted the antenna on thier mirrors, I'll look for the pics I saved and post later!

·
Registered
579 Posts
truck cb ant.

theres a pic of where mine are, its kinda crappy but you can barely see where the wire comes out of the door and goes to the bed, its only about six inches or so exposed.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
truck cb ant.

theres a pic of where mine are, its kinda crappy but you can barely see where the wire comes out of the door and goes to the bed, its only about six inches or so exposed.

^that's what I'm working towards!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts