Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys where can I route the CD radio antena cable through to get into the bed? The antena is going to be sitting in the roof top.

·
Bill
281 Posts
i have a 148gtl mounted just to the right of the fuse box access panel. from their i ran the cable under the dash to the molding that follows the (floor)carpet or vinal to the back. behind your set or the rear seat their are two rubber plugs against the back wall. i have one coming out of each of them for dual wips.

·
Bill
281 Posts
I cut a slit about 1 in long in it to get the connector thru. but if you have your own ends you could just drill a 3/8 hole then solder them on after you route the coax

·
Bill
281 Posts
i was thinking about my obs. instead of on the floor the plugs were on the back wall. you will see in the pic's i sent you

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I had my Galaxy 44 sitting on the trans hump in my first 97 PSD ONE wilson 2000 trucker mounted on the d/s bed rail.I ran the cable under the carpet and out the plug under the back jump seat (ex. cab) then it ran up under the bed and up thru the hole in the front stake pocket.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I know the OP was asking about where/how to route antenna cable, but here's a shot of the radio mount I fabb'ed (if you count bending/painting a piece of sheetmetal as fab work...) to mount my Cobra CB. It's held to the support structure for the -20- part of my 40-20-40 seat with sheetmetal screws and the radio is attached with some heavy-duty velcro. Even though I drilled holes for the speaker to fire through, they don't work very well so I ended up using an external speaker (wedged between the radio and the tranny hump) from Radio Shack that actually worked quite nicely.

POKE HERE FOR PICTURE
Nice I made mine easy to hook up and hide Houston is full of crinimals. LOL
I too had an external speaker, it sat under the fold down crap/cup holder.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I'm thinking about putting in a radio and antennas. I was thinking about mounting a 4' antenna on either mirror. Then mounting the radio on the roof by the rear view mirror. Any thoughts or suggestions on brands or somethin?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Glaxay makes good radios.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
my cobra was under the dash - ran the wire under the carpet down through the plugs in each footwell, then ran the wire down along the side of the cab through a "tunnel" of sorts that is down there, then up through the stake pockets.

·
Bill
281 Posts
I'm thinking about putting in a radio and antennas. I was thinking about mounting a 4' antenna on either mirror. Then mounting the radio on the roof by the rear view mirror. Any thoughts or suggestions on brands or somethin?
I havn't seen a good way to mount a antenna on a plastic mirror. and the roof is a single piece of tin instead of two layers. so you have to glue the mount up or have bolts going threw. I miss mine in my obs. I had it their. But it had two layers of meatel to keep the screws from going threw.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I havn't seen a good way to mount a antenna on a plastic mirror. and the roof is a single piece of tin instead of two layers. so you have to glue the mount up or have bolts going threw. I miss mine in my obs. I had it their. But it had two layers of meatel to keep the screws from going threw.
I wanted to use some little "U" bolts on the top bar thingy and mount them there and run the wire into the mirror then the door somewhere with all the heating wiring from the mirrors.
And I haven't really looked into mounting the radio on the roof and you make a good point there! I'll figure somthing out.:poke:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welll guys as an update... I have a tiny Midland radio with a small antena with a magnetic mount. I did the install yesterday... a friend convienced me to go in a trail... didn't even get one transmission in through the CB and.... a Tree branch hits the antena aparently hard enough to throw it in my bed... the small whip didn't break but the base broke some how... Instead of having the screw where you would screw the antena you see raw cable and insulation so i'm guessing that one is done for...

BTW I don't think I will do to many trails again since I'm in a 2wd and thinking of following Dave MPG quest...

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
mirror mount just the standard mirror mount brackets and clamp it around one of the horizontal posts on the tow mirror - might need longer bolts. works well but needs a better ground.

Does the clamp/antenna mount ground out the wire? If so couldn't I just run a separate wire bolted the the mont and ground it somewhere else inside the vehicle (were a bunch of other wire are ground to)?

·
Bill
281 Posts
for the best result you want to keep the ground as short as possible. You can add a ground anywhere. Drill a hole and remove the paint around the area were the terminal lug will sit and screw it down. Then paint over it to seal it. and prevent rust.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
so if I mounted the antenna on the plastic mirror I would need to run a wire from the mount for a ground right? And if so I could just run a wire over to one of the bolts, that bolts the mirror to the door?

·
Bill
281 Posts
would be better than nothing but I think the door hinges have a non conductive bushing. you should realy go to the cab

1 - 20 of 34 Posts