Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Twitch
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to mount a CB in my truck. I have the center console and mileage lie o meter on the roof as well. Any ideas or pics?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put mine just under the little storage spot below the 4x4 switch

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I like wher I have mine...

I think in your truck the front of the console would work pretty good. I believe trailerhauler has his on the roof too but not sure if he has the little mileage console.

That ugle gap between the headliner and console has been fixed since that pic was taken. Also I put the mic holder on the side of the console.

·
Cat Tech.
104 Posts
Since there is no smoking in my truck, I took the ashtray out and mine is mounted in there. I dont have a big one like in the above pic, but I really dont need it either.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I like wher I have mine...

I think in your truck the front of the console would work pretty good. I believe trailerhauler has his on the roof too but not sure if he has the little mileage console.

That ugle gap between the headliner and console has been fixed since that pic was taken. Also I put the mic holder on the side of the console.
How did you get that ce in there and whats holding it in and im assumeing you have to make the hole in the overhead console bigger to right.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
How did you get that ce in there and whats holding it in and im assumeing you have to make the hole in the overhead console bigger to right.
yea I dunno if I would do it again. Took A LOT of plastic welding but has held quite solid for the 3 years it has been up there.

Warning the images you are about to see are graphic and shouldn't be viewed by the easily sickened or small children LOL

This is what the hidden portion of the console looked like

I had to cut out the sides to widen it, and also cut out the back of it. Luckily I stopped before I completely removed the top and welded in "supports" to hold it before it was completely severed.

even had to cut out some for the wires to pass

final view of the carnage. All the plastic welded to it were pieces I had already cut off. I added the 3 strips to brace against flexing of the large flat surface

2 bolts through the roof of the console are what hold the CB to it, and then the console mounts to the truck in a factory manor, 1 tab at the front and then 2 push clips at the back

The exterior piece ended up getting the opening cut wider just slightly, actually straight down from the top portion to the bottom of the opening, can't even tell until you look up close. Also the sunglass holder fully functions

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Before you buy a typical CB you need to look at these two units, no mounting required.

I just bought this unit. Completely mobile.

Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio - $94.95

If i was going to put a permanent mount in my truck it would definitely be this one, the entire radio is the hand held mic, that is all the needs to be mounted in the truck. An external speaker can also be run with this one. You absolutely can not beat the price for this radio. Another great feature is that you can disconnect it and, it's like you never had a CB in your truck.

Cobra 75 WX ST Compact CB Radio - $99.95

Watch the videos on that website, they have vid for just about all there products.

Remember it's not the radio that makes CB transmission/receiving better or worse, it's all in the antenna. All CBs by law are required to put out the same power in watts, so spend the money on the antenna and not the radio.

JDC...no offense, but it seems like a lot of work to stick a CB in the upper console when you can get one that is just a MIC.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
JDC...no offense, but it seems like a lot of work to stick a CB in the upper console when you can get one that is just a MIC.
non taken, thats why I said I don't think I would go through the process again. Was a learning process if anything, never had plastic welded before and had no use for the console as it was.

We had that mic only one in the camper truck and it never seemed to work very good. For a basic unit where you don't want the clutter it certainly works great. We put it in my dads regular cab. Throw it behind the seat when not in use and a magnetic cheapy antenna from radio shack that can mount on the fuel tank, wire passes through the cab vent.

Hoping to send my radio out at some point to get peeked and tuned and the rest setup better in the future, seems I am getting to the point not of redoing everything on my truck lol

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
non taken, thats why I said I don't think I would go through the process again. Was a learning process if anything, never had plastic welded before and had no use for the console as it was.

We had that mic only one in the camper truck and it never seemed to work very good. For a basic unit where you don't want the clutter it certainly works great. We put it in my dads regular cab. Throw it behind the seat when not in use and a magnetic cheapy antenna from radio shack that can mount on the fuel tank, wire passes through the cab vent.

Hoping to send my radio out at some point to get peeked and tuned and the rest setup better in the future, seems I am getting to the point not of redoing everything on my truck lol
do you guys tune your antenna with an SRW meter? That's more important than tuning the radio. I don't have the MIC CB but all the reviews i seem to read say it's a great radio, just might need a louder external speaker.

By the way i bought the cheapo magnetic antenna from radio shack too....won't do it again...it whistles like crazy, so annoying. I bought a K30 magnetic to replace it, the brother to the well known K40 antenna.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
do you guys tune your antenna with an SRW meter? That's more important than tuning the radio. I don't have the MIC CB but all the reviews i seem to read say it's a great radio, just might need a louder external speaker.

By the way i bought the cheapo magnetic antenna from radio shack too....won't do it again...it whistles like crazy, so annoying. I bought a K30 magnetic to replace it, the brother to the well known K40 antenna.
yup tune the radio and the antenna's for SWR, the cobra 29 has the meter built into it. I currently just use a 4' firestik II fiberglass antenna.

Honestly I don't remember it being too bad of a radio, I think it was just mostly not able to do anything further with it, but then again for many that is perfect right there.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
I just put my radio between the middle and the driver seat. Workes well in all my trucks. I hate the look of the curly cord hanging from the roof of the truck, through the windshield.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
yup tune the radio and the antenna's for SWR, the cobra 29 has the meter built into it. I currently just use a 4' firestik II fiberglass antenna.

Honestly I don't remember it being too bad of a radio, I think it was just mostly not able to do anything further with it, but then again for many that is perfect right there.
Gotcha....i might pick up the MIC unit at some point, but we'll have to see how the Midland mobile unit i bought works out, for what i use it for it should be fine.

·
Go Big or Go Home!!!
523 Posts
I have a Super Star peaked and tuned and a 450w leanier. Its all mounted under the cup holders, i was going to mount it between the console and seat but the holes were already under the cup holders. I plan to move the leanier to under the rear seat as soon as I get the time to. I will have to post the pics tonight when i get home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts