Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need some help here. i've got a 95 f-350, reg cab long box 4x4. anyways, about a year ago the dual mass clutch was rattling, and i was busy with work so i had the local shadetree mechanic put a new single mass napa clutch in. drove the truck about 6 miles and the transfer case broke off the tranny, coming apart right in front of where it bolts up to the tranny. this happened at about 60 mph, and tranny, transfer case and drive shaft were destroyed. fast forward to now, i had just finished replacing all said broken parts, taking it for a drive down the road, this time made it about 2 miles down the road when the same freaking thing happened again!!! any idea what's going on??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here is a dumb question for ya is the trans and transfer case mount in its the one that goes between the two?

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Here is a dumb question for ya is the trans and transfer case mount in its the one that goes between the two?
Huh? The only thing between the trans and the xfer case is a paper gasket. The xfer case hangs off the back of the trans on the OBS.
The xfer case input shaft slides into the trans output shaft, and there's a pin to clock the xfer case to the transmission. Then 5-6 bolts hold the two of them together.

Chadow:
That's impressive. Especially to have it happen twice.
My thoughts:
-Driveshaft length. Specifically make sure the front shaft isn't too long. Maybe you didn't get YOUR shaft back when the shadetree put it back together. If the shaft is too long, it will pound on the xfer case and try to twist it. This happens during suspension compression, such as when you hit a speedbump. I'd be more worried about this on an F250 that had a D60 put under it, but still something to consider.
-Make sure the xfer case has fluid and isn't already locked up. It might even be worth splitting the case of the next replacement just to do an inspection if you get it used (junkyard).
-Make sure the axle gears are in good shape. Strange things can happen if the gears get in a bind. I would hope you'd notice something like that, but with a catastrophic failure like that, sometimes other symptoms tend to get overlooked.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe the shadetree f'ed something up with the clutch install???????????

·
Registered
136 Posts
IIRC there is a cross member that holds either the trans or the t-case im not sure.

·
Registered
588 Posts
IIRC there is a cross member that holds either the trans or the t-case im not sure.
I think it holds the transmission and the t-case "hangs" out the back. IIRC

·
Registered
136 Posts
I see so that's not the problem I told you guys it was s dumb question! On the second go around did you replace the drive line?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. there wasn't a front driveshaft on it currently, the old one had worn out and i hadn't put the new one back on yet. more and more i'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the rear end, but until everything fell apart it sounded and felt fine.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You have a piece of gear orr something of that nature locking up the rear diff. The torque is then put on the driveshaft, t-case, and trans. Then kaboom. Pull the cover off the rear and see what broke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts