Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what do you all think about running the CAT elc coolant in a 97 7.3? Its time to flush out my old coolant and though about running the elc because it lasts longer.

Thanks

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i have it in my truck and it seems to really like it.. stays in a good temp range. but ive only had it for around 6K miles so i couldnt tell you about its longevity but its supposed to be really good stuff

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
a guy i work with switched, and his water pump started leaking not too long after, he swears thats what caused it, but the truck had 90k on it... pretty much the life expectancy of the water pumps anyway. Its good stuff, im going to switch over to it on my 08, just be sure you flush the old stuff out pretty good.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Somewhere there was an extensive thread on this...was "Gooch" the resident antifreeze expert, or was that on the other old forum. Anyhow, IIRC, the ELC's were not recommended for our models because certain internal engine components (injector cups, for example, if my memory is correct) were slightly incompatible with the ELC's. Otherwise it would've been great. I believe the thread said there was a crossover point in '99 or2000 where the components were acceptable. This was backed up by documentation, again IIRC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i've been running it for maybe 4 years or so (about 90k miles) i havent had any issues with it

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Somewhere there was an extensive thread on this...was "Gooch" the resident antifreeze expert, or was that on the other old forum. Anyhow, IIRC, the ELC's were not recommended for our models because certain internal engine components (injector cups, for example, if my memory is correct) were slightly incompatible with the ELC's. Otherwise it would've been great. I believe the thread said there was a crossover point in '99 or2000 where the components were acceptable. This was backed up by documentation, again IIRC.

Thats all good but HUEI injection is used by caterpillar, and the injector cups are pretty much the same, so there again i would not be afraid to use it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thats all good but HUEI injection is used by caterpillar, and the injector cups are pretty much the same, so there again i would not be afraid to use it.
While I don't claim to be an injection cup expert, here's a thread from here:

Cat ELC - Page 2 - Powerstroke Nation

Page 2, Gooch writes:

"*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA)...."

I cannot speak either for or against his advice, I'm merely reporting what's been said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am a cat tech elc is garbage I think it causes leaks if it was not used from the get go. If you don't flush the old stuff out it mixs into a slime. Cat does not recommend elc to be used in press in injector cups like 3100 series engines. I have seen many leaks brought on by switching to elc from regular antifreeze. This is just my opinion but also the stuff stinks and is nasty feeling on fingers.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
While I don't claim to be an injection cup expert, here's a thread from here:

Cat ELC - Page 2 - Powerstroke Nation

Page 2, Gooch writes:

"*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA)...."

I cannot speak either for or against his advice, I'm merely reporting what's been said.
Nope the more info the better

I am a cat tech elc is garbage I think it causes leaks if it was not used from the get go. If you don't flush the old stuff out it mixs into a slime. Cat does not recommend elc to be used in press in injector cups like 3100 series engines. I have seen many leaks brought on by switching to elc from regular antifreeze. This is just my opinion but also the stuff stinks and is nasty feeling on fingers.
3126s are pretty much the same thing as a c7......SSSSSOOOOOO i guess cat shipped a bunch of machines out with the wrong coolant in them :shrug:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I personally used Fleetcharge when I changed the coolant last summer, it comes with the SCA in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts