Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is posted in the right place, but anywho-

Going down the highway on the way to Maine Friday....get a vibration, slow down, vibration gets worse.....bang, bang, bang, bang....tread separated at about 70mph.....bang, bang, bang, bang....tread finally came off (and almost took out the two cars in our convoy behind me).

Lotta damage for about 10 seconds of pucker. Never seen this happen on anything but a retread. These were BFG ATs 285/75/r16s that were pretty far gone. Good thing was the tire held pressure a few miles to the nearest exit.

Just got back and haven't checked my insurance yet, but believe I have comprehensive that would cover this. If not, would this be a complete bed replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
damn that sucks.. id say though a good body man could fix that up w/o replacing the whole bed.. good luck

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Why I will not buy bfgs again.

When I first bought my truck they were already on it, few weeks later the right rear started doing the same thing. And yes they were BFG a/t's

·
SLOW LEARNER
739 Posts
De Ja Vu bud. The same thing happened to me on my OBS. I had my spare on and it was a BFG KM(ALL TERRAIN) right rear. Some loud noises at 70 and the tire never deflated. Just lost the tread. Took out the fender support brackets and pulled the tail pipe till it was kinked shut. Didn't take to long for the truck to get hot. The bed was damaged also. That was about 2 months ago maybe.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
bummer, what did the insurance estimate the damage at?

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Was it a new BFG or a treadwright recap

·
Clyde's got it
73 Posts
There was a thread exactly like this on FTE a couple weeks ago. He was running BFG's also...

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Is that a nail in the pic or just where the rubber broke off?

·
Registered
487 Posts
that happened to me once at about 40, i stopped pretty quick. cheap tires though.

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
talk to a company that put replacement beds on, like utility beds and stuff theyre constantly selling factory beds off for awesome prices

·
6.0beau
282 Posts
this happened to me when i had my 99 sd but i was running bfg mud terrains and i was doing about 85 it was my front driver side tire, completely ripped my fender off.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
talk to a company that put replacement beds on, like utility beds and stuff theyre constantly selling factory beds off for awesome prices
:whs:

I got my 2010 dually bed for about the same price as most people get a 2010 tailgate for.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Just to give you a heads up. I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago on my truck except the tire blew out. Tires were pretty new and had no reason to come apart like that. I email BFG and told them what happened, I received a phone call the next day telling me to take the tires to Discount.

Had Discount remove the tire from the rim and send it off. About a week later I got another phone call saying they inspected the tire and found no reason for the tire to come apart like that.

I was then told that if I had not called my insurance company to take the truck to two body shops, my choice and get a quote to have the bed fixed and that BFG would send me a check to cover the amount.

Just to give you some other options on something else to do before you call your insurance company.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bummer, what did the insurance estimate the damage at?
Didn't call yet.

Was it a new BFG or a treadwright recap
It had only a little life left, but not a recap that I know of. Never seen a recap of only the center tread.

Is that a nail in the pic or just where the rubber broke off?
No nail, tire had air in it until I got home and pulled the valve stem.

Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to give you a heads up. I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago on my truck except the tire blew out. Tires were pretty new and had no reason to come apart like that. I email BFG and told them what happened, I received a phone call the next day telling me to take the tires to Discount.

Had Discount remove the tire from the rim and send it off. About a week later I got another phone call saying they inspected the tire and found no reason for the tire to come apart like that.

I was then told that if I had not called my insurance company to take the truck to two body shops, my choice and get a quote to have the bed fixed and that BFG would send me a check to cover the amount.

Just to give you some other options on something else to do before you call your insurance company.
Did you send them the whole tire (tread too)? I only have what you see in the pic.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Please save your money and pay for it outright.

You'll pay out the nose for the next 100 years if you make an insurance claim.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
01Platinums post seems like the plan. Give them a chance to make it right.

BTW: I am moving this thread to General Area, thanks for the heads up on the tires.

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
Had a BFG AT come apart on a work truck (van) 4-5 years ago. beat the crap out of the rear sheet metal . Tire place blamed it on unger inflation and a bunch of other bs . Never had good luck with them .

·
Registered
381 Posts
WOW that sucks! ......Im running Bfg's.....:lookaround:

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Man, thats rough... I'd def check with BFG before I made a claim on my insurance.

The bedside can be replaced, without having to put a completely different bed on, at least from your pics. I've helped replace several on many different types of trucks, and they all work the same way - cut spot welds, pull oll bedside, straighten/replace brackets and braces, and weld/panel bond (seen it done both ways) the new skin back in place. Paint, and you're all done.

-that would be the condensed version, lol

Anyway, at least you or anyone else didnt get hurt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts