Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this pertains to the 6.7L PSD...

Dear SEMA Member:

We have recently learned that CARB and EPA are planning significant enforcement action against companies that make, distribute or install tuning products for late-model (2007 MY and newer) diesel trucks that are equipped with diesel particulate filters (DPF) if such tuning products offer any of the following features: (1) the ability to re-tune/re-program the truck to operate while the DPF is removed; (2) the ability to turn off urea (exhaust fluid) injection; and/or (3) the ability to defeat, disable or turn off any other required emissions control system on a late-model diesel truck. Products with these features cannot be legally sold for on-highway usage. If you make, sell or install products with these features and they are sold strictly for legal racing use you must be able to make assurances to these regulatory agencies that these products are NOT being used on the street on registered vehicles. If you cannot make those assurances we encourage you to carefully consider your business practices so as to avoid possible penalties.

SEMA is very interested in protecting you and your future and we hope you’ll find this information valuable. If you have any questions please contact Jim McFarland, Consultant for SEMA, regarding compliance with these regulatory agencies.

Sincerely

John Russell Deane, III
SEMA General Counsel

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, you're under the mistaken impression that ye olde "Off Road Disclaimer" will keep the EPA and CARB wolves at bay. You may wish to reconsider. Please pay particular attention to the lines...

If you make, sell or install products with these features and they are sold strictly for legal racing use you must be able to make assurances to these regulatory agencies that these products are NOT being used on the street on registered vehicles. If you cannot make those assurances we encourage you to carefully consider your business practices so as to avoid possible penalties.
It's not any different then selling a firearm to a person that you know will be using it to commit a felony. All the paperwork in the world doesn't excuse you from the responsibility/liability.

They do not care that your customers have signed a disclaimer. If you sell an emissions defeat device on a truck that is REGISTERED for street use, then they will come after you. PERIOD. If you chose to play the game with CARB and the EPA, be prepared to have your wallets lightened.

What are the penalties for noncompliance?
Penalties for violation of stationary source requirements, fuels requirements, or most motor vehicle emission requirements (by a company or dealer) may be up to $27,500 per violation (per day or per motor vehicle/ engine). Violations of the tampering requirements (by a person other than a company or dealer), or defeat device provisions by anyone may incur penalties of up to $2,750 per vehicle or engine.
This means that CARB/EPA can (and will) go after not only manufacturers, but also individuals... although the word so far is that they are targeting manufacturers.

The choice is yours, but don't act surprised if they come knocking on your door.

·
Diesel Therapist
153 Posts
EPA= Unconstitutional. Executive branch making and enforcing law. F*ck 'Em!!!

·
Diesel Therapist
153 Posts
Let the Bulletin board lawyers have a field day explaining why the Federal Government can screw you. Sycophants are useful idiots. I guarantee one will site a Supreme Court ruling on the matter. I then will say look at article 3 of the US Constitution and explain to me where the Supreme Court can make law or interpret the Constitution.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I can't imagine the EPA being able to broaden their enforcement. Their budget has been tightened considerably so that they don't go bankrupt. It would be nice to see a republican take office next year and eliminate the EPA all together. Let private organizations handle keeping an eye on emissions on plants and let it all be voluntary for privately owned vehicles to abide by "suggested" standards. That way law enforcement can't be involved. We aren't even supposed to have a federal agency like the EPA.

·
Registered
163 Posts
:whs:....Vote Herman Cain 2012 he is all about eliminating the EPA. also has other great ideas on getting our economy back on its feet by doing away with all the non sense in government and taxing fairly

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before anyone else starts flaming, one thing I do want to point out is that I am not trying to defend the EPA and I am most certainly not in favor of the EPA coming down on anyone. I agree that the DPF system is the biggest piece of useless garbage force-fed on the automotive community. Worse than catalytic converters and EGR, which at least didn't require tons of wasted fuel to function. I am simply trying to make everyone aware of what is coming down the road. It's not my choice and I certainly am not in any position to be policing anyone. If/when the EPA does come after someone, you can bet it's not going to be a slap on the wrist. They are going to come down hard and make an example of the first companies they come after. Lawsuits amounting in the millions of dollars are quite feasible (after penalties, buybacks, and whatever else they come up with) so that even the possibility of legal action from the EPA or CARB is something everyone should seriously consider.

SEMA, as a representative of the automotive aftermarket, is offering a warning. It's a warning that shouldn't be taken lightly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank god I live in Canada and don't have to deal with all that EPA BS

·
Powerstroke Fanatic
179 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
So if Academy sports can not GARUNTEE the person they just sold that 9mm to will not commit a crime then lets charge Academy with murder.
Bull####.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
So if Academy sports can not GARUNTEE the person they just sold that 9mm to will not commit a crime then lets charge Academy with murder.
Bull####.
Hell dont try to help the communist by throwing more businesses into the fire. We have to stand up for what is right, not what is politically correct.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the next one to hang it up. Anyone still think the EPA is bluffing?

IMPORTANT SCT Dealer News November 9th, 2011
RE: SCT Off-Road Diesel Programmers

Dear SCT Customer,
We regret to inform you that, effective immediately, SCT will no longer be offering for sale any of the following SCT products:

9625OR
9621OR
3025OR
3067OR
4067OR
4416OR
3416LMMOR
8900OR
4015OR
8967OR
ORTUNE

Our decision to discontinue these products is based on recent statements made by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regarding diesel performance products intended solely for racing/off-road use. The EPA and CARB have taken the position that the manufacturer of such products is solely responsible for the proper use of those products by the end-user. Despite our best efforts to carefully develop and implement procedures designed to ensure that each purchaser of our off-road/race-only products is aware of his or her legal obligations and promises to use those products in a lawful manner, as of this time we have not been able to gain satisfactory assurance that such measures will be considered adequate by the EPA and CARB. Consequently, we have chosen to withdraw our off-road/race-only products from the marketplace until we are able to verify that the sale of those products can be achieved in a manner that satisfies EPA’s and CARB’s concerns.

We will continue to monitor developments with regard to applicable federal and state legal requirements. If and when we are able to re-introduce these products into the marketplace in a manner that definitively meets all EPA and CARB requirements, we will do so. In the meantime, we trust that you will understand the basis for our decision.

Thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Rick Trudo, President - SCT Performance, LLC.

Important Notice from SCT Performance

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
WOW that sucks

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Here's the next one to hang it up. Anyone still think the EPA is bluffing?

IMPORTANT SCT Dealer News November 9th, 2011
RE: SCT Off-Road Diesel Programmers

Dear SCT Customer,
We regret to inform you that, effective immediately, SCT will no longer be offering for sale any of the following SCT products:

9625OR
9621OR
3025OR
3067OR
4067OR
4416OR
3416LMMOR
8900OR
4015OR
8967OR
ORTUNE

Our decision to discontinue these products is based on recent statements made by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regarding diesel performance products intended solely for racing/off-road use. The EPA and CARB have taken the position that the manufacturer of such products is solely responsible for the proper use of those products by the end-user. Despite our best efforts to carefully develop and implement procedures designed to ensure that each purchaser of our off-road/race-only products is aware of his or her legal obligations and promises to use those products in a lawful manner, as of this time we have not been able to gain satisfactory assurance that such measures will be considered adequate by the EPA and CARB. Consequently, we have chosen to withdraw our off-road/race-only products from the marketplace until we are able to verify that the sale of those products can be achieved in a manner that satisfies EPA’s and CARB’s concerns.

We will continue to monitor developments with regard to applicable federal and state legal requirements. If and when we are able to re-introduce these products into the marketplace in a manner that definitively meets all EPA and CARB requirements, we will do so. In the meantime, we trust that you will understand the basis for our decision.

Thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Rick Trudo, President - SCT Performance, LLC.

Important Notice from SCT Performance
Well fuk me..... those are the only devices that will accept custom tunes on the 6.4...... months of developemnt, etc down the drain.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Screw the EPA.. I would be less apt to deal with a company that bows down to those idiots... if I can't modify my vehicle how I want then maybe the EPA wants to make my truck payment..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts