Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm investigating "gauges" via a monitor rather than individual gauges and an additional tranny cooler also seems appropriate.

But with all the options and "blustery commentary" by aftermarket resellers, I'd like to get the opinion of those on this forum who have actually installed (or had installed) these options, what's the weight and size of the load they tow and what have they experienced.

My interest is to upgrade my 1999 7.3 to attach an 8,000 to 9,000 mile journey from San Diego to Alaska this coming summer. The terrain will very greatly from highways to mountainous areas.

·
7,985 Posts
a tablet with torque pro app loaded on it works very well for monitoring things.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Torque app on my phone I put on a phone holder that I mount in the corner of my windshield. You need a bluetooth ob2 dongle I bought mine off Amazon for $20. Make sure you purchase the app you can get more selections to choose from. My only problem is I can't get EGT or coolant temp readings could be my dongle. I use tranny temp, boost and oil temperature my truck is stock so I don't have to worry about monitoring EGTs

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
you cant get readings that the truck does not have sensors for.
there is no EGT or coolant temp in the PCM, PCM reads oil temp rather then coolant
get a pyro and learn to drive by it. that advice changed how I drive a bit, more rpm is less EGT, low rpm while pulling is damaging

·
7,985 Posts
my older trucks will read coolant temp but not oil temp.
th 02 diesel, will read oil and trans temp, the 04 5.4 powered truck will only read trans temp.
the 2011 and newer 6.2 and 6.7 trucks will read everything except EGT.

·
Registered
81 Posts
an old friend of mine purchased a scan-gauge to troubleshoot a bad oil cooler in his 6.0 and absolutely loved it. it plugs right into his OBD2 port and fit perfectly into the space below the a/c knobs (where the newer trucks have the upfitter switches). he still uses it to monitor things while pulling. I don't believe you can monitor EGT with it though.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
my older trucks will read coolant temp but not oil temp..
what is older? there is no input for coolant temp to the PCM in an OBS, so even if the software is displaying a number as 'coolant temp' it is not getting that number from the coolant temp on the engine.
I dont have a SD 7.3 here to look at but I would guess they are the same as I dont recall having to add a sensor to run the SD pcm on an OBS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts