Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - looking for some help to diagnose. I installed a new turbo, Garrett38R with the wicked wheel 2 and for some reason can't make more than 14-16 lbs. of boost. My EGTs are pretty low, they run around 340-370 with normal acceleration. I've checked for exhaust leaks and can't find any, but would think if this were the case my EGTs would be high and they are not.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Larry is getting a make over.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Most likely your waste gate actuator is too loose. Give it two or three turns in. Next. The ww2 isn't know to preform any better and some say it causes premature failure in the 38r.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't heard about the premature failure but I'll let you know what happens here. I'll check the waste gate actuator, thanks for the suggestion. I do have a couple of corrections. The wheel is actually a RiffRaff 38R Billet compressor wheel, not a WW2 as I mentioned earlier, sorry memory isn't what it used to be. Also installed are the Turbo Wastegate actuator vacuum lines and OCR Overboost code regulator, XDP 7.3 Bellowed up pipes and complete CAC Intercooler Boot kit and EAS EGT probe. Also installed the EBPV eliminator. I think that covers it. (had to go back to my parts list to refresh my memory)

Will check the waste gate actuator shortly.

Thanks again!
LarryF250

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the issue with the billet wheel on the 38r is that you have to get it balanced properly every time that wheel and turbo are separated. Seems to be a lot of people that just threw a billet wheel on their 38r like you would do with a stocker and destroyed the turbo in less than 50k Miles. Also, from the posts I read, it doesn’t sound like that wheel is much better than the wheel that comes with the 38r. I have no direct experience, just seems to be an almost universal issue on the forums.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up McNance - I asked Riffraff if the wheel needed to be balanced when putting it on and they said it comes already balanced to the components the 38R, so no need to balance it again. I put it on and checked the tolerances and it spins fine with no play in the shaft either up and down or side to side. I would think if it were out of balance you see that a lot sooner than 50K due to the rpms that thing spins at, but I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an update guys and gals - I tightened the waste gate actuator 3 and half turns until it was tight and took it for a test drive last night. after warming it up took it on the hwy and put my foot in it on the on ramp, still only showed 14 lbs of boost, even though there was no apparent power loss, no turbo lag, nothing to indicate that the power was suffering at all. EGTs went from 338 climbing gradually to 561. Pulled strong the entire time. Got back home and checked for any soot around all the pipes and nothing.

Next step is to replace my MAP sensor which is the only thing I can think of that might be bad. not throwing any codes ... nothing.

signed,
Almost stumped ... :(

·
College Student
191 Posts
You could make boost leak detector for about 15 bucks. Then that way you can check all of the intercooler pipes and boots. There could be a pin hole somewhere in the system.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Something ain't right. Egts should be way higher. Closer to 1200 at wot. Also where are you monitoring your boost from.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Seems to me like you are lacking fuel. If you had boost or exhaust leaks your egts would be high.

Is your egt probe in the manifold or down pipe?

·
young guy, old trucks
152 Posts
This might sound dumb but you have a chip right?

·
Rookie diesel tech
103 Posts
where are you measuring your boost from? if your measuring it from the ecm/obd2 then your going to get a false reading because the boost fooler tricks the map sensor from seeing the real boost so it doesnt defuel the injectors. also where is your egt sensor located? it should be in either the driver or passanger side manifold for the best and most accurate readings possible. hopefully you dont have it in the down pipe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you have no chip the boost level you are seeing is possibly normal. Hopefully you upgraded the up pipes or at least the doughnuts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, EGT is in the manifold, I've done the highway test a couple more times and you're correct the EGTs jump to over 1100, I just wasn't looking at it the whole time, try to merge with traffic. As for the lack of fuel, boy sure doesn't feel like it, it pulls strong until I let off the accelerator and alot stronger than it used to, and I mean a lot.

I do have a chip, threegen, not dumb at all, I haven't checked the programing in it to see if there is a limiter set. What were you thinking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EGT is in the driver side manifold, interesting point on the boost measurement location, I'm not sure I know what an ecm/obd2 is, are you referring to the On board diagnostics plug under the steering wheel in the cab?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have a chip boostedretard and I did up grade the up pipes to bellowed up pipes and did away with the doughnuts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Cummins - I made the leak detector with some Home depot plumbing supplies and attached it, no sign of a leak anywhere. The boots and clamps are all brand new, not say one didn't get punctured somewhere along the line, but the leak detector showed no signs of a leak and I have no soot or anything around or near any of the connections. I was able to clean them up pretty good so any signs would/should be easily visible, can't see anything.

I haven't swapped the map sensor yet ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And while I'm at it, a BIG THANK YOU, to everyone who's participated here. I really, really appreciate all of the suggestions. I don't have a clue and the truck runs like a scalded dog, just not showing the correct boost I believe ... oh well, I guess I'll be replacing more stuff until I figure this out!

Thanks again everyone!!

·
young guy, old trucks
152 Posts
Try unhooking the red line to the wastegate and see what it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Evans735 you're a STAR! Good call on the location of the Boost measurement, it is hooked to the OBD connector under the steering wheel. I'll be getting a new probe and measure directly from the source. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Will update when I get the new probe installed.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
38r question

I noticed a plug in the cartridge of the turbo in theory could i run an oil feed line to it? Would this be more beneficial for the turbo to rub oil through the top? Would this be better or worse for the turbo? I know traditionally alot of the time with other turbos tjats where an oil feed line banjo would go with a crush washer.

Thanks

Chad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts