Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to replace my #4 injector. Made sure there was no oil in the cylinder before I installed it. While I was at it I pulled off the valve cover harness and checked the resistance on the wiring before reinstalling. Everything checked out. When I went to reinstall the harness I found the #6 glow plug had separated. The stub where the wire connects slid out of the part that is screwed into the head. Screwed it out no issues with the glow tip, still attached. Installed a new glow plug. Reinstalled everything. Cranked it over, fired right up and then clank engine stopped. This happened in less than five seconds.
I got a breaker bar and tried to hand turn the engine thinking it may have hydrolocked from oil. I can turn it about 180 degrees and it stops, turn it in the opposite direction and again it locks up at around 180 degrees. (am going to double check the degrees in the morning and update this thread)

I pulled the new injector. No issues with it. Pulled the new glow plug nothing wrong with it. I plan on pulling the remaining injectors and glow plugs in the morning.

Any ideas on what may have happened. Bent Rod, swallowed a valve and if so how can i verify that. I was thinking of pulling the injector cups, (i have the tool to pull and reinstall new ones) to get a better visual, possibly using a endoscope to see if a valve got bent.

Also if I drain the oil and loosen the pan will it drop down enough to stick a endoscope in there to look around.

I am trying to avoid pulling the head for starters, but will do it if that's what its going to take. Worse case is a motor rebuild, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Pulling the injector cups is not going to give you any better visibility into the cylinders.

·
PSN intsigator
6,839 Posts
If it's a valve you could pull the valve cover, and rocker arm. A suspect valve will be very noticeable with a valve spring being taller than the others.

I would pull all glow plugs first, inspect for damage and try to turn the motor in either direction

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to follow up on what happened. Looks like one of the -o- rings on the high pressure oil side of #8 failed and allowed high pressure oil to fill #8. That apparently happened right when I started it, so it instantly hydrolocked. Replaced the -o- rings on #6 & #8 hand turned the engine after each injector went back in just to make sure there was nothing I was missing. Fired up after the injectors all primed up. Everything is working. Thx for the input. Please take note a read my new thread on the Motorcraft -o- ring kits. There messed up.

·
PSN intsigator
6,839 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for posting the cure for the issue

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I wanted to follow up on what happened. Looks like one of the -o- rings on the high pressure oil side of #8 failed and allowed high pressure oil to fill #8. That apparently happened right when I started it, so it instantly hydrolocked.
This is EXACTLY the reason I didn't want to pull my injectors! Thank Goodness it didn't hurt your engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts