Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lift the bed off my truck to do some tank vent modifications.

How much does a long bed SRW bed weigh?

If I run a 2x6 between the rails front and rear will the rails support the weight of the bed if I lift it straight up?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

If I run a 2x6 between the rails front and rear will the rails support the weight of the bed if I lift it straight up?
I don't think it's perfectly balanced from forward to back, so you may have some tipping issues when you lift it off the frame. When I pulled my bed, I have a guy on each corner and it came right off, and wasn't very heavy, just awkward to lift/ hold/ walk with.

·
Quitter
383 Posts

the 2x6s will work fine. thats how I took mine off. But :whs: Its not that heavy. Get 4 guys on it. Done!

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Although I haven't done my bed yet I have lifted some chevy beds from the rails and they held fine. And they also seem to be made cheaper than the Fords so I wouldn't hesitate. But I also plan on the 4 guy technique when mine comes off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get 4 sober guys here at one time can be tough and I wont trust the bed to a drunk. :D

The plan is to use 2 2x6s between the rails, 1 front and 1 rear with a come-a-long attached between the 2x6s and the rafters in the shop. Drive in, lift off, pull out.

Should be simple.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
If you are using the 2x6s on the flat I recommend 2 mounting points per board close to the rails. A 2x6 will bow quite a bit and could slip out.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are using the 2x6s on the flat I recommend 2 mounting points per board close to the rails. A 2x6 will bow quite a bit and could slip out.
I'll be using 2x6's on their edge, more strength that way but I will still be using two mounting points, one on each end of the board.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
why not use 4x4's and then you wont have to worry,just a suggestion

·
Registered
207 Posts
I took the bed off my 87 with just 2x4' s. I had one each across the front and back, and two running the length to keep the ends from sliding. All were on end BTW. Used my 2-post lift to lift it off. No problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This thread answer my question... I'm getting ready to replace the rusted out bed on my 97..

Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts