Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,397 Posts
Those would be the valve cover bolts. You'll be able to see the studs (or bolts) below the valve cover on that same side if you look right below the bottom corner of the valve cover.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,397 Posts
No, studs will just insure that your head gaskets wont blow. Having the egr deleted is essential to that as well.

C

·
0 Posts
Year, miles?
You need a monitor pronto. Either OBDII interface and Torque Pro for droid or iPhone, or an actual monitor, like an Edge.
Delta is the difference between coolant temp and oil temp, and that needs to be below 15 degrees difference at highway speed, unloaded, 60-65 MPH. That will let you know about the condition of oil cooler. A switch to a ELC diesel coolant should be on your list if you have no records or proof that the Motorcraft Gold from the factory is NOT there.
FICM voltage needs to be at 48, no less than 46 for short periods. Battery voltage is critical as well, if they are old, have them tested. Alternator charging too.
Visual check for the blue spring kit on the fuel bowl to see if that's been done.
10w30 oil, and either the factory Motorcraft, or Racor filter. Prime Guard is the proper length, a really decent Chinese clone, and can work as well if money is tight.
Lot's more to talk about or do, but there is a start for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 04 with 169k miles and very very helpful inputs I just joined this forum and I've had nothing but great,and prompt advice thank you

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
welcome to the forum!
tupelo, eh? would that be tupelo, mississippi? or tupelo, oklahoma?

but yep, head bolts will be a big bolt head just below the valve covers. studs will be a threaded stud with a nut on it. popular studs have a 12point nut and an allen insert on the end.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
I found this random wiring unplugged(in front of my filter) and it doesn't seem to connect to anything nearby
its a bit hard for me to see the pic, but it looks like the egr valve is gone with a cap/spool in its place. and that plug might be the egr valve plug. is it a 4-wire?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good old tupelo Mississippi and it does have the big head bolts so what am I looking at spending on getting the stud kits and is it pretty extensive time wise to do

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
hmmm i think an ARP headstud kit with soome OEM HGs shoudl run you around $500, but it's been a while since i reserached it.

and, if you are doing the work yourself, we have a whole list of things to do while its apart haha! so, it's best to factor in another $1000 minimum for some basics. like a new oil cooler, some HPO updates... a coolant filter...

so, if you do the head job yoruself, you'll need to decide to do it cab on or cab off. cab on is possible, just kinda hard to get to the rear bolts. plus those haeds are haevay. also, factor in cost for having a shop check the heads for flatnest and cracks. they may need to deck them.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
yeah, pretty sure that's the egr connector. it looks like that circular plate right below it says 'Elite Diesel ...' something or another? looks like a egr delete kit was installed for sure!

with programmers and tuners, there are tunes our there that are specifically for trucks with stock tty head bolts. and i think a lot of people have great luck with them. just keep in mind, each custom tune you buy costs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice!! The more and more I'm learning about it I feel I did a damn good thing buying it... so here's another question you might could answer for me sometimes when I get on it on it down the road, when I let off the pedal i get what sounds like some sort of blow off I don't think it's a blow off valve for the turbo it's low pitched kinda muffled sound idk it doesn't effect my power or driving at all but I just wonder I feel it's supposed to do it or if I need to do something about it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice!! The more and more I'm learning about it I feel I did a damn good thing buying it... so here's another question you might could answer for me sometimes when I get on it on it down the road, when I let off the pedal i get what sounds like some sort of blow off I don't think it's a blow off valve for the turbo it's low pitched kinda muffled sound idk it doesn't effect my power or driving at all but I just wonder I feel it's supposed to do it or if I need to do something about it
maybe what is referred to as 'turbo fart'

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lol not a bad thing right?
I know mine will do it from time to time. but watch coulple of youtube vids on 6.0 turbo fart see if thats the sound.

Sorry I dont know if it is bad or normal but im sure somebody here will be able to tell you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watched some YouTube videos and it is turbo fart and not a bad think just pressure that has no where to go when you let off so it goes back out the intake , what I got out of it anyways

1 - 20 of 28 Posts