Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 2006 f250 super duty crew cab 4x4 truck with the problematic 6.0 instaed of all the money im fixing to sink into it..head studs, bulletproof oil cooler and all the upgrades could i swap in a 7.3? has anybody out there done this and how hard would it be? what would i have to do? thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
From what I read, they are pretty good once you bullet proof them. I don't think I'd swap, but I would not want a 6.0 either. But, in your shoes, I think I'd opt to bullet proof.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,220 Posts
Legal depends on where you live.

Of course you can do the swap. It only takes time and money. This swap will take A LOT of both. You need to change the wiring and the transmission. The trans you have now won't bolt to a 7.3L. And the 7.3L wiring and computer won't be compatible with the truck, so you will have to build an electronic box to convert the signals, or swap all the truck electronics to the older parts.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Yes you can and I've helped do it before. This guy was complaining about how he had to do general maintenance things on his 6.0 like a new starter and alternator so he decided to put a 7.3 in it. Everything. And I mean everything was replaced. All wiring, switches, buttons, bottles under the hood, everything was replaced. So now he has a late 03 7.3 4r100 with 2000 model year switches and buttons. And all 2000 model year wiring. He bought a rolled donor truck and swapped all the stuff over and scrapped what was left of the cab, bed and frame, and sold everything for his 6.0 as a bundle. Cost him more than rebulletproofing the 6.0 with all products from BPD. And now has a slow azz 7.3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts