Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my trans fluid about 4k miles ago. I need to put an upgraded direct drive solenoid in to help out the 3-5 shifts so i was curious if i dropped the pan and put the solenoid in, can i reuse the relatively new fluid (as long as its clean)? might be a stupid question but if I don't have to spend the extra 75-100 on new fluid, it would help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can, I would go buy a brand new 5 gallon bucket or at least a super clean one to drain it in. I plan on doing mine soon as well, but I think I'm just going to put new fluid in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can, I would go buy a brand new 5 gallon bucket or at least a super clean one to drain it in. I plan on doing mine soon as well, but I think I'm just going to put new fluid in.
My suggestion would be use a very clean or brand new catch can/bucket to put it in. Before refilling the trans get a paint cone with the fine mesh to filter or strain the fluid to make sure no bugs or debris got into it. You will be fine.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Don't listen to these guys that are all worried about cleanliness. Just use whatever drain pan you have, even if it has some old motor oil or dirt in it. If you spill some just suck it up with a shop vac, and then reverse the hose so that it blows it back out. You could even do the shop vac trick with all the fluid. I mean your transmission has a filter right???? Plus the shop vac has a filter......so that's like double filtration.....it would probably be cleaner than new fluid. It will be fiiinnneeee.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Yep reuse it as FUEL.....

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't listen to these guys that are all worried about cleanliness. Just use whatever drain pan you have, even if it has some old motor oil or dirt in it. If you spill some just suck it up with a shop vac, and then reverse the hose so that it blows it back out. You could even do the shop vac trick with all the fluid. I mean your transmission has a filter right???? Plus the shop vac has a filter......so that's like double filtration.....it would probably be cleaner than new fluid. It will be fiiinnneeee.
your sarcasm is subtle.

I'm not stupid...just wondering if it was possible if the fluid is essentially brand new.

·
<sideways skyscraper
471 Posts
In all honesty...if you drain the fluid into a new drain bucket and make sure no debris fall in, then poor it back in when your done there's a 99% chance you will have zero problems. Would I do it? No...it isn't really THAT expensive for 8-10 quarts of SP. Plus wouldn't you rather have fresh clean fluid running through your new solenoid? Its up to you man

·
Registered
699 Posts
your sarcasm is subtle.

I'm not stupid...just wondering if it was possible if the fluid is essentially brand new.
If I thought you were stupid I wouldn't have even made that post for fear that you would do it.

If you do it, be sure to clean your pan around the drain hole very well, because the fluid won't come out perfect and will pick up whatever is on the pan close to the hole.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
if you didn't do the hot flush and just changed the fluid in the pan the first time I would change it out with new

1 - 10 of 10 Posts