Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sylvania halogens just aren't cutting it for me. Can anyone recommend me a good 9007 headlamp, and 9145 fog lamp LED bulb? I'd like to stay with a warmer white, not really a fan of the pure white bulbs. But I'm looking for a set of bright, quality LED bulbs.

Also, does touching the glass of a halogen bulb with your bare hand make it dimmer? I just slapped the bulbs into the housings without thinking about it. Then I watched a video after the fact, that stated to never drop a headlamp bulb, and never touch it with your bare fingers.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Dimmer? Not directly, but yes. The oils from your finger get deposited and then the heat from the bulb burns the oil creating a barrier to some of the light. It's not a lot, so that's not likely the significantly impact your output. As for the LED, realistically you're probably not going to be happy with the output from one of those unless you get a really powerful one. I say that because simply putting an LED bulb into your housing will actually decrease the amount of usable light you get. The reflector housing is designed to reflect the light coming off a halogen bulb which radiates at certain angles. LED bulbs, at least the good ones, tend to have only two, sometimes four, output sides so you're actually missing a bunch of area.....it will leave spots in front of the truck with significantly less light. This is especially true of the bulbs which face backwards into the housing. The only way to accommodate for this is to increase the brightness of the LED so those darker areas are now the proper brightness. However, that means all the other areas are now ridiculously overly bright, hampering the other drivers. Having said all that, LED bulbs are improving all the time, and I have seen a couple which had eight rows of lights giving it almost like a full circular output, but the brand was crap and the output sucked, but maybe since then (I haven't searched for LED headlights for a while) a good brand has come out with a true halogen replacement. I'm sorry I didn't give you the answer to your question but I wanted to at least share a little bit of my experience with you to hopefully save you the hassle I went through of trying to find one which works.

BTW, if you can find a quality housing which was designed with LED bulbs in mind then absolutely an LED will work well. Just make sure replacement bulbs are of the same design (emitters in same general locations and outputting the same directions) as the ones which came with it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dimmer? Not directly, but yes. The oils from your finger get deposited and then the heat from the bulb burns the oil creating a barrier to some of the light. It's not a lot, so that's not likely the significantly impact your output. As for the LED, realistically you're probably not going to be happy with the output from one of those unless you get a really powerful one. I say that because simply putting an LED bulb into your housing will actually decrease the amount of usable light you get. The reflector housing is designed to reflect the light coming off a halogen bulb which radiates at certain angles. LED bulbs, at least the good ones, tend to have only two, sometimes four, output sides so you're actually missing a bunch of area.....it will leave spots in front of the truck with significantly less light. This is especially true of the bulbs which face backwards into the housing. The only way to accommodate for this is to increase the brightness of the LED so those darker areas are now the proper brightness. However, that means all the other areas are now ridiculously overly bright, hampering the other drivers. Having said all that, LED bulbs are improving all the time, and I have seen a couple which had eight rows of lights giving it almost like a full circular output, but the brand was crap and the output sucked, but maybe since then (I haven't searched for LED headlights for a while) a good brand has come out with a true halogen replacement. I'm sorry I didn't give you the answer to your question but I wanted to at least share a little bit of my experience with you to hopefully save you the hassle I went through of trying to find one which works.

BTW, if you can find a quality housing which was designed with LED bulbs in mind then absolutely an LED will work well. Just make sure replacement bulbs are of the same design (emitters in same general locations and outputting the same directions) as the ones which came with it.
Is there a way that I can up the light output at all with halogen? I'm currently using Sylvania basic. Will going to Sylvania Silver Star up the output at all? Also, my fog lamps have pretty old bulbs in them, and they outshine my headlamps. Could I have possibly just gotten a bad pair of bulbs by accident?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm not certain, all though I think all the pre 05 headlights always look cloudy. If you had the money/time would be awesome to upgrade to a 05 front to make the truck look newer.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I can't speak as to whether the difference in the years will make a difference or not either, but agree that if your lenses are cloudy or yellowed that will impact output as well. You can find higher wattage bulbs out there, so if all else fails you could give that a shot.....though technically it wouldn't be street legal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not certain, all though I think all the pre 05 headlights always look cloudy. If you had the money/time would be awesome to upgrade to a 05 front to make the truck look newer.
My truck had the 05 swap. It looked like crap, and the high and lows were swapped.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sylvania halogens just aren't cutting it for me. Can anyone recommend me a good 9007 headlamp, and 9145 fog lamp LED bulb? I'd like to stay with a warmer white, not really a fan of the pure white bulbs. But I'm looking for a set of bright, quality LED bulbs.

Also, does touching the glass of a halogen bulb with your bare hand make it dimmer? I just slapped the bulbs into the housings without thinking about it. Then I watched a video after the fact, that stated to never drop a headlamp bulb, and never touch it with your bare fingers.

Thanks for reading.
So so far, I've found several problems that are contributing to my low light problem. I've got two bad headlight sockets, a damaged low beam hotwire, and both my headlight housings are hazed and yellowed. So I've bought a pair of crystal clear headlight housings, and two ACDelco headlight socket pigtails. I will be replacing both sockets, and using good solder and shrink tubing. And I'll be replacing the headlights and corner lights. I'll keep you up dated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts