Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I've been having problems with fuel gelling when it gets below freezing at night. And my water separator has been getting full about every week. Can anyone recommend me a good fuel anti-gel additive? I see several available, and I wanna see what y'all have been using that works well.

God Bless

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Power service white bottle. If your diesel is 2007 or older I recommend using it year round.

Also you should check your tank for water or perhaps check where your getting diesel

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
If you water separator is filling up you may have bigger problems than the fuel gelling. Is it actually water or just fuel that if in it? Check it in a clear bottle where you can see the oil floating on top of the water. If it is water then you need to drain your tank and get the water out of it.

On the gelling, you may want to change where you are getting fuel from. I live in a very cold area of Colorado and have never had a problem with gelling. The stations switch over to winter fuel in October of early November and keep it until the following spring. But I do use Styrodine Performance Formula. It is a anti gel along with a few other additives that helps the fuel system of our trucks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power service white bottle. If your diesel is 2007 or older I recommend using it year round.

Also you should check your tank for water or perhaps check where your getting diesel
Me living out in the country, and just having to get fuel wherever I can, it's entirely possible that I might have gotten a bad batch of fuel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you water separator is filling up you may have bigger problems than the fuel gelling. Is it actually water or just fuel that if in it? Check it in a clear bottle where you can see the oil floating on top of the water. If it is water then you need to drain your tank and get the water out of it.

On the gelling, you may want to change where you are getting fuel from. I live in a very cold area of Colorado and have never had a problem with gelling. The stations switch over to winter fuel in October of early November and keep it until the following spring. But I do use Styrodine Performance Formula. It is a anti gel along with a few other additives that helps the fuel system of our trucks.
I end up getting the light on the dash that the water separator is full. And when I drain it, it's clear.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Even if you have to drive further I would change stations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
agreed . i only buy fuel from two stations, unless i am out on the road. and then i only buy from truck stops.
Yeah. I used to get all my fuel from a Wavaho 30 minutes north of my place because they had the best deal. Never had a problem with them. They were also right in the middle of a town with a bunch of farm fields around, so they cycled through diesel often. Then the price went up everywhere, so I just went to the closest and cheapest place for fuel, and that's when I started having problems with water contamination. I'm gonna be going back to the Wavaho for my fuel now. 👌

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I find it better when draining the water to get a clear bottle and drain a bunch and then let it sit and check later

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Project farm on you tube has some videos over this if you want to get technical, but imo all of them are good enough

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Water in fuel has always been an issue. That's why you have to be fussy where you buy fuel.

But if you are someplace it gets colder than 10 below, just keeping the water out is not enough.

Undyed kerosene has always worked for me. Five gallons in a tankful is good for 30 below. If you are somewhere REALLY cold, these trucks will run nicely of straight Jet A or kerosene. The bigger dose of kerosene or Jet A, the colder your operational limits get to be.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I had one truck that was 30% water in the tank, we had water in the fuel all the time and drained it a bunch of times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts