Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a tahoe that stalled the other day and it would not restart for 20 minutes. Once it restarted it was fine. But, when it happened it would not restart for a solid 20 minutes. He is scared to drive it. I pulled the codes and p0430 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2. Any thoughts?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I believe bank 2 would be the passenger side o2 sensor. Check to see if it is in front or behind the catalytic converter. If it is behind, the cat is probably shot.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
all that code means is that the O2 sensor is saying that the cat is not opperating correctly. Typically that only happens on high milage vehicals and more often than not it ends up being the O2 sensor itself. Would not make it stall or not start. What exactly did it do?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will double check but I am pretty sure he said it just flat out died in an intersection and would not restart for 20 min.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
certain codes take more than one failure to store so he might have to drive it in order to get a code to fiqure it out

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I will have him drive it and give me a little more info. Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like fuel pump. Stalls out then take time for it to restart. Next time this happens have him pound on the gas tank with a rubber hammer. The reason for the check engine light is the loss of fuel pressure causing a lean condition and that O2 sensor happens to be a little on the leaner side then the other bank. I have seen a ton of sub and tahoe with this same issue.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Although very common, fuel Pumps don't usually come back on their own. The pounding on he gas tank can bring them back but indefinitly. Could run for 10sec or 10 days

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.