Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 F350. Every day on my commute home, there are two spots on the road where I can coast down hill for about 2 miles. To get the whole way, I have to put the truck in neutral. If I leave it in drive I have to give it some throttle along the way.

Considering exhaust braking and other trans adjustments can help with towing and be tuned in, can you do the opposite? Are there any tunes that will allow my truck to coast farther, without putting it into neutral? It's completely stock, as of now...

·
Registered
559 Posts
......lol

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
i never noticed usually have it in tow haul so I actually don't have to brake while going down hill
i guess you have a slight grade ?

not a request that ever comes up as far as I have read

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Very unusual. Do you perform this drive with the Cruise Control on??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's weird about wanting better fuel mileage? It's a big chunk of my commute every single day that I get for free. I come home in the middle of the night on a country highway so there is nobody else on the road, I can coast as slow as I want. Not using the cruise control, I just try to minimize the use of both pedals as much as possible.

I just wish it would coast better in drive...I guess there is a good bit of engine braking going on even with the tow/haul mode off.

·
local idiot
761 Posts
What's weird about wanting better fuel mileage? It's a big chunk of my commute every single day that I get for free. I come home in the middle of the night on a country highway so there is nobody else on the road, I can coast as slow as I want. Not using the cruise control, I just try to minimize the use of both pedals as much as possible.

I just wish it would coast better in drive...I guess there is a good bit of engine braking going on even with the tow/haul mode off.
this is going to sound mean but its not intended that way. You bought a diesel, 3/4 ton maybe even a 1 ton truck. Usually fuel mileage isn't a concern. I understand that you want the most out of everything you have (who doesn't). with that being said, I don't believe a tune could help with your coasting ability. if you knock it up in neutral to get fuel mileage then what you are essentially relying on are the aerodynamics of the truck and the condition of wheel/axle bearings, as well as hoping your calipers aren't sticking enough to cause excess drag on the rotor. that's about it really. I wish there was something that could help you but I just don't see it, maybe one of the vets here could chime in. good luck with your search

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do know this forum has a whole section dedicated to fuel economy, right? ;) Maybe I should have posted this there....

I bought a diesel truck because it gets much better mileage than a gas truck and I bought an F350 because it's just about the smallest truck you can buy in the US with a diesel. I would love to have an F150 with a 6 cylinder diesel but they won't let me have that.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Ask an SCT custom tuner. I'm sure someone could make a file like that for you.
Something to mention is that it is not good to let your engine run at idle for too long...

Sent from my Smart Car

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
The only way to get what your after is higher axle gearing . It will coast in gear and not wind down . Like a 3.08 or so gear . But all your towing and around town power and mileage will go out the window .

·
Registered
116 Posts
My math maybe off but if you average 15mpg and fuel is $4 a gallon for easy math, assuming you can only coast one way down the bill on your trip, that's roughly .52 cents saving. How much committing would you have to do to justify buying the tune if someone could do it.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
I would think that YES it would be very possible to write a tune that would disengage your over run clutches effectively putting your trans in neutral but I think it's a bad idea as it would promote a harsh engagement when applying throttle..... ALSO keep in mind that your truck is using fuel the whole time it is idling and if you are coasting down to a very low speed you are likely burning more fuel due to idling than if you set the cruise at 45 mph and went down the hill that way....

If anyone can write that feature into a tune it would likely be Bill at PHP tho I can't guarantee he would be willing to due to the chance of ruining your transmission.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
My math maybe off but if you average 15mpg and fuel is $4 a gallon for easy math, assuming you can only coast one way down the bill on your trip, that's roughly .52 cents saving. How much committing would you have to do to justify buying the tune if someone could do it.
a couple things wrong... first if he gets 15 mpg on flat ground he likely gets 30 mpg or more driving normally down this hill thus he already saves the first $0.26 and second he would have to turn the engine off to get infinite mpg and save the other $0.26

This tune MIGHT save him a few cents but coasting so long at lower speeds while idling MIGHT actually cost more.

If he actually manages to save $0.03 a day, 5 days a week, he should be able to pay for a $50 tune in 6.4 years... UNLESS he smokes a trans and then all bets are off lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
a couple things wrong... first if he gets 15 mpg on flat ground he likely gets 30 mpg or more driving normally down this hill thus he already saves the first $0.26 and second he would have to turn the engine off to get infinite mpg and save the other $0.26

This tune MIGHT save him a few cents but coasting so long at lower speeds while idling MIGHT actually cost more.

If he actually manages to save $0.03 a day, 5 days a week, he should be able to pay for a $50 tune in 6.4 years... UNLESS he smokes a trans and then all bets are off lol
It's kinda like I loosend the lid on the pickle jar. Very well put

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate it when people start acting like something like this would need to pay itself off in the first month or I shouldn't do it. How many (expensive) things have you done to your truck just for the hell of it? How many have lifts and never go offroad?

I get about 14mpg and I drive this route 25+ days a month. If the truck put itself into neutral I could probably coast for 5+ miles in each direction. Both ways has hills to go down. That's ten miles times 25 days or 250 miles saved per month.

14mpg and $4/gallon cost $0.285 per mile. That's $71.25 saved if the engine used no fuel during that time.

Now I have to subtract the idle fuel. I would be idling approximately 12 minutes to drive those 10 miles. My scangauge reports about .6 gallons/hour fuel consumption at idle. 12 minutes = .2 hours times .6GPH = .12 gallons burned, that cost 48 cents. Now I have saved $70.77. Per month.

The only variable I haven't calculated here is my fuel mileage going downhill vs flat land. Since I have to keep on the throttle the whole time, it's got to be less than 20. We'll say I only save 50 bucks. That's a lot of beer.

What would be really nice is some sort of clutch somewhere in my driveline that you engage just like a clutch for a manual trans. Just press it in whenever I want to coast. I'm sure that would cost thousands though...

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
You must have missed what I said earlier.... idling is not good for diesels. This "savings" you found will come back as added repair cost when you have to either clean the unison ring in the turbo, or have valve issues due to wet stacking. Not to mention, more frequent oil changes, because of the natural inefficiency at idle. Granted it will take some time for that to happen, but not as long as just letting it run down the hill like normal.

Sent from my Smart Car

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
I think you also missed the likelihood of transmission damage AND nobody mentioned increased brake wear from losing ALL engine braking.....YES there IS a way to add a clutch... swap to a manual trans

BTW no reason to be a hater... you asked an out of the box question on a public forum and received the opinions and knowledge of the public.... That's how it works.

Yes I think it is likely a bad idea BUT I also gave you the name and company of the most likely person in the country to be able to do it for you.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I think you also missed the likelihood of transmission damage AND nobody mentioned increased brake wear from losing ALL engine braking.....
^This also!

Sent from my Smart Car

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
i've always wondered if a person could safely shift from Drive to Neutral on the column in an auto tranny at highway speeds... and effectively coast for a bit... i've gone from '3' to Drive lol! but never from 'D' to 'N'... bad idea? lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You must have missed what I said earlier.... idling is not good for diesels. This "savings" you found will come back as added repair cost when you have to either clean the unison ring in the turbo, or have valve issues due to wet stacking. Not to mention, more frequent oil changes, because of the natural inefficiency at idle. Granted it will take some time for that to happen, but not as long as just letting it run down the hill like normal.

Sent from my Smart Car
You are being ridiculous. How long do you think I'm idling? :rolleyes: A couple of minutes is nothing. :rolleyes: I didn't miss what you said earlier, I just ignored it.

I think you also missed the likelihood of transmission damage AND nobody mentioned increased brake wear from losing ALL engine braking.....YES there IS a way to add a clutch... swap to a manual trans
I was just asking. Jesus. Some of you are REALLY uptight! I get annoyed when people try to tell me this is a stupid idea, and the math doesn't work...and then I hand them their ass when I do the math.

Will it damage the trans? Possibly, I don't know. I'm not an expert on it, and neither are you. I'll look into it.
Will it increase my fuel mileage more than enough to pay for itself? Yes, absolutely, unquestionably.
Will it cause my truck to idle itself to death? No, not even remotely.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
You are being ridiculous. How long do you think I'm idling? :rolleyes: A couple of minutes is nothing. :rolleyes: I didn't miss what you said earlier, I just ignored it.

I was just asking.
You were just asking, and we gave our thoughts but you ignore it. You must not need our help then.. LOL

Sent from my Smart Car

1 - 20 of 44 Posts