Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is alot of info of this floating around but ive put 3 cam sensors in my truck in the last month its starting to irritate me i tried 2 of the black ones from advanced they last about a week and still run rough put on of the twenty dollar ones from ford truck ran better than it ever did for about 2 weeks now that one is crapping out on me any advise would be appriciated

·
Registered
480 Posts
had a similar issue a few years back when mine went... changed it and it was randomly still acting the same. one day i was working on the truck and pulled the battery cables off for a hour while i worked on it and the problems cleared out. Must have reset the computer. been running good for a few years now until recently... time for a new one

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Look at the front of the sensor, is it being rubbed anywhere? If it is you have bigger problems than you think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill have to try the battery thing im not 100 % sure its not rubbing but i dont think so ill have to look at an old on and what is the difference from the 97 cps to mine a 96 i know they are different part numbers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sensor is not rubbing. put one in from advance to get by till the ford one comes in and truck runs like crap. i know the cam sensors are a problem in these trucks but i didn't know it was this bad.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
check your pigtail to the sensor amybe a bad spot in the wire have you tried moving it around while it is runnining> ( be carefill)

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Tell me more about this. Youre thinking the cam gear is coming off the cam, right? What would the typical symptoms of this be? Im beginning to wonder if this is my problem.
The cam has a helical cut on it for the cam gear to go on. At higher RPMs the gear can walk itself off of the cam and will rub the end of the sensor and ruin it. You can fix this by pulling the motor and front cover off and tack welding the gear to the cam. I'm dealing with this right now.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm not sure if tack welding the gear to the cam will solve that problem. That would seem (to me anyway) to indicate a cam thrust bearing problem. Cheers!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried to order a pigtail and shim kit from ford and goo that route but the guy gave me the light gray f7tz12k073b sensor to try first

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
I'm not sure if tack welding the gear to the cam will solve that problem. That would seem (to me anyway) to indicate a cam thrust bearing problem. Cheers!
That's what I've been recommended to do by a few sponsors on the site here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There continue to be bad sensors floating around at the chain stores. A friend I was helping diagnose went through two DOA back to back before getting one at the Ford dealer.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
My higher mile 96 was very sensitive to CPS and I think it was because the cam thrust bearings where causing it to walk. Tried the IH shim packs to move the cps farther away from the timing wheel...ran real bad. This was back in the day when I bought a ford cps and it cost $250 here in Canada.....(after trying a bunch from IH) and it didn't work that well. So I took it and turned it down (Ford one) so it would fit in the cover closer to the wheel. Worked awesome after that. Iirc there where some 95 and possibly early 96 engines where I thought the front cover castings where not milled properly thus the shim kits form IH....

Have some pix in my sig about it under the Black truck folder.

·
ate lug
172 Posts
The cam has a helical cut on it for the cam gear to go on. At higher RPMs the gear can walk itself off of the cam and will rub the end of the sensor and ruin it. You can fix this by pulling the motor and front cover off and tack welding the gear to the cam. I'm dealing with this right now.
Wow thats what i was afraid of. So howd you figure it out? Does it stutter at high rpms (3k-ish) but is ok at lower ones?

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Wow thats what i was afraid of. So howd you figure it out? Does it stutter at high rpms (3k-ish) but is ok at lower ones?
I figured it out the day I had my truck dyno'd. It was run up over 4k and it would just shut off at idle. Pulled the sensor and it was rubbed off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts