Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to apologize for my earlier rant on another post as to my truck not starting.... I was just really frustrated when I've had three Ford techs look at the truck and could not figure it out. Not their fault, just didn't want to throw a code...
I had a fourth tech come to my house and was able to get a code FINALLY. He said that he was no getting sync from the Cam position sensor and the crank. He said that it he would bet a bad Cam position sensor but wanted to have it towed in to test all the wiring and everything else first. I'm 1000% OK with this I just want it to run :ford: Like all of you I'm very proud of the dang truck and it just killed me when it wouldn't run and no one could tell me why!
Anyway, we now know why...
Question from you all though. What should I expect to pay the dealer to do a total dig and replace of the cam sensor?
Thanks and again, sorry for the rant :doh:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the cam sensor replaced on my 7.3 by a local shop not a dealer but he had it replaced in 10 min for $60 part and labor, just depends on how long the want to dig into the wiring lol :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That's nothing... I'm kinda expecting a $500 to $750 tab. I hope I'm wrong and it's less though :shrug:

·
Still learning
368 Posts
I would search the harness for chafes and routing then buy the sensor and try it. Hell of alot cheaper then a tow and dealer shop rates.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do the sensors run?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Around $30 I believe

·
Registered
675 Posts
you are the 6th truck in the last year that has had a bad cam position sensor and all were 04's. I can't believe i didn't post on your thread about it not starting that is what i've told everyone to check when it won't start cold and has no codes. Auto enginuity would have told you they weren't nsync it is well worth the $350 if you plan on owning a 6.0 or any ford

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a late '04 and have had to replace my Cam Position Sensor as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got my truck back from the dealer today. $385 to replace the Cam Sensor. The funny thing is that they brought the truck up and the Batt light came on in their drive. They took it back in and the Alt is out now! Now they want another $800 to replace the Alt and belt :pointlaugh: The joke is obviously on me cause everyone is laughing but me!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well got my truck back from the dealer today. $385 to replace the Cam Sensor. The funny thing is that they brought the truck up and the Batt light came on in their drive. They took it back in and the Alt is out now! Now they want another $800 to replace the Alt and belt :pointlaugh: The joke is obviously on me cause everyone is laughing but me!
cam position sensor cost $30 and takes about an hour to change if that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
man thats good money for a $30.00 sensor and it takes 15 mins to replace

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just got my truck back AGAIN from the dealer :doh: Another $800 to them for a Alt and Serp belt. I would have tried it myself but the belt just looked ridiculous to change....
I really don't wan't to turn into one of those 6.0 hating, sh*t talking guys out there! God knows there are enough of them! I'm just really praying that this is it for a while, lord knows over the past couple of weeks I've been :eek:wned:
Here's the worst part of it all.... When the 6.0 is running, it's awesome! I really love it! Really it has been nothing but a beast for me and I really want to love it again :ford:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I wish I was ur stealership, the alternator is 250 tops, serpentine blet 50 or 60, and about 25 mins to change out an alternator..... the serpentine belt prolly would be a beeotch to change, but for 800 smackers I would roll the dice and figure it out..... so you have over 1100 dollars in 350 in parts, thats around 800 dollars in labor costs.... thats a FCDP delete or 2 SCT X3's with custom tunes...... Air Dog 2, pretty close to some injectors....maybe 2 sets of ARPs....... :mad:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well just got my truck back AGAIN from the dealer :doh: Another $800 to them for a Alt and Serp belt. I would have tried it myself but the belt just looked ridiculous to change....
I really don't wan't to turn into one of those 6.0 hating, sh*t talking guys out there! God knows there are enough of them! I'm just really praying that this is it for a while, lord knows over the past couple of weeks I've been :eek:wned:
Here's the worst part of it all.... When the 6.0 is running, it's awesome! I really love it! Really it has been nothing but a beast for me and I really want to love it again :ford:
The belts pretty simple, it can be done with one guybut is easier with 2 it takes 5min to remover the old one and install the new one. I would be pissed if they charged me labor for the belt and the alternator when they had to remove and install the belt to change the alternator anyway

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really don't know what it all takes but when you look at the belt it looks like a chore! I know that book pays 1.8 to change one so whatever.... It's done now and yes I would rather have the goodies on the truck then the expense on sh*t I don't feel should have failed this soon but it did...
I just want it to be good for a stretch now! Like I said I want to love the thing and trust it again. When it works it's a beast!

·
Registered
357 Posts
cam position sensor cost $30 and takes about an hour to change if that.
:eek: Did they at least wash your truck? that's ridiculous!
man thats good money for a $30.00 sensor and it takes 15 mins to replace
we just put one on my friends 04 last fall, its closer to $40-50, unless your CZDIESEL's dealership then it's $300-400.
I think people need to step back and calculate how much time it would take to diagnois the concern, and then how much time to perform the repair. Just because the sensor can be changed in under an hour does not mean there was no diag required.

So if you broke down $385 let say 2 hrs diag, 1.0 hrs repair = 3 hrs x $100 labour an hr + parts/shop supplies/taxes = $385 pretty quick.

The altenator/belt is around 2.0 hrs, the prices of altenator have came down but im pretty sure they used to be around $500, belt $50 or so, quick calculations come to around $750. If they charged full time for belt and full time for the altenator then, yeah you got screwed as there is overlap.

Example off the top of my head and easy numbers an alt replacement in the flat rate book pays around 2.0 hrs and the belt pays around the same, you better not have paid 4.0 hrs, i could however see a max of 2.5 hrs total for both.

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
I believe the CPS for a 6.0 is like 60 something dollars, i bought one awhile back but ended up not needing it, i also wouldn't say its just a 10 minute job, its a pain in the ass to get to. But i dont know if its a 385 dollar job

1 - 20 of 26 Posts