Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pictures of them installed so i can get an idea how long to make them? No sense in spending the $ on them if i have all the stuff to build them myself:D

Thanks!

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
luke i just put the brackets on yesterday, but the bars were inch and a half too long, ill have the right length bars on tomorrow and get you pics...but for the price of cal tracs and the quality, i wouldnt even bother making my own.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we have a machine shop with lots of steel and they look simple to make so i figured id just make my own. Its been awhile since ive seen a set and cant remember how long they were.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
luke i just put the brackets on yesterday, but the bars were inch and a half too long, ill have the right length bars on tomorrow and get you pics...but for the price of cal tracs and the quality, i wouldnt even bother making my own.
I second that, buy the proven product.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am also really interested in this product for my DRW. I get a s##t load of vibration coming out of the hole with my heavy horse trailer. How does this effect handling? ride? etc. Will it cure acne? You get the picture.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Fresh outta the box:

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
I personally didn't like them..I couldn't find a middle ground between good street manners and hooking at the track.
I wound up using the axle bracket only and making a set of 6'4" long bars to the frame instead. Those work much better for me.

If you really want to try the Cal-trac's...don't forget they use a solid aluminum front spring eye bushing. Have fun getting that sucker in. Oh yea..they don't come with u-bolts...you'll have to get those made.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I personally didn't like them..I couldn't find a middle ground between good street manners and hooking at the track.
Care to elaborate on the street manners that were objectionable?

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Harse ride IMHO..and if they were set to hook at the track and I spun the tires on the street..the rear end would hop like crazy. Not like axle hop..like the whole truck would bounce up and down in the back.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
they come with u bolts now, you just have to ask. as well the bushing slid right in for me....maybe they have made some changes.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
I hope so...I had to take the springs off and press the bushing in with a hydraulic press. It sucked.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
i wonder why the fit would be so much different. maybe my springs strecteched in that front bushing, it was way more of a pita to get the stock bushing out!!

·
RDRCM
1,922 Posts
I had a set of Competition Engineering "slide-a-link's" on my 63 Chevy II. They are basically a copy of caltracs but are loadable/unloadable with a poly bushing. Everything Rich has described was the same with them also. Poor traction on the street, very firm ride in the rear, unless I unloaded them. I also had to remove the leaf springs and press in/out the new aluminum bushings.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I wound up using the axle bracket only and making a set of 6'4" long bars to the frame instead. Those work much better for me.
are those more like ladder bars without the ladder?

do the caltracs fit 350's?
..the only ones i saw were for 150's.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
You can get them for 250/350's. Probably not a dually though...with their bigger axle tubes.
And yes...mine are built like a ladder bar...just a single tube though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts