Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I just got my truck back from being bulletproofed and it runs great! However, the transmission has developed the following noise:

https://youtu.be/gs7xup6yGSM

Any idea what is going on here? On the way home from the shop and pulling into my driveway, the shift lever came off the side of the transmission mount, which I was able to reattach. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone care to weigh in on this? I'm really in the dumps on this issue especially since the engine runs so we'll right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New development. Had the rear end up in the air, ran through the gears and no noise. Scanner had a bunch of transfer case faults. Fluid levels were good. Shifts into 4 wd high and low, noise is present in both 2wd and 4wd. Pulled inspection plate and flywheel, starter, and TC bolts all look good. Still Grinding like in the video driving, but the truck is blowing right through it and shifts dead money at the end of the grinding sound. Sound also present on deceleration with audible bang or clank.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can you drop the rear drive shaft and take a road test with just the front drive shaft... I listened to video, and its tough to pin point what the noise might be. I know pulling the Drive shaft is a pain .. but it would further isolate the transfer case/tranny issue. I had a rear ujoint just act up.. but it was vibrating in steering wheel.. so weird stuff happens and gets transferred along driveline.

Good luck.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
I'm really bad at diagnosing noises that I can't hear in person.

It sounds like something is loose and rattling. Having the shift lever fall off shows that the shop didn't tighten everything they should have. It's unlikely that the noise is coming from inside the trans, it's something bolted on that is loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news...down pipe was pressed against the pinch weld between the cab floor and firewall and obscured by an exhaust bracket. Banging against the pinch weld under load, so back to the Powerstroke shop for a downpipe adjustment. Kudos to guys at local transmission shop finding this. Also, I was able to see my cooler lines are TOAST and are being replaced for safety and reliability purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts