Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Your Help!!!!!

Just installed new clutch (south bend 1944-06K ), New clutch,new pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, new throwout bearing, new pilot bushing, and old upgraded fork looks brand new compared to a new one i had bought just in case. Old clutch( 1944- o6 ) had the springs busted out. Well now it doesent want to go into gear !!! So thinking i installed something wrong or backwards, i dropped the tranny again. Took everything off and reinstalled, it all looks good. Reinstalled tranny and still doesent go into gear. Thinking it might be the clutch master and slave, i bled it, got a few bubbles out but same thing. had an old master and slave in my garage , bled that one and same. So went to oreilys and bought a prebled set and installed and same thing, wont go into gear.

When truck in off it goes into all gears fine, clutch not pressed.

Thinking it might be my transmission. Hope not!!!

On that note, while i had my drive shaft off i turned on the truck and it went into gear with no clutch. DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! Put drive shaft back on and now wont go into gear.
Thinking it might be the rear end so i jacked up the rear end and put in 1st gear. at first it wouldnt go in but as the tires started to turn it went into 1st gear, then 2nd with faster turning and so on. And all this with no clutch.

Please help with suggestions. hoping its a an easy fix for today but most likely will take to shop in the morning. Thanks in advance !!!

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
My suggestion is to find someone that knows manual transmissions. That's not me.

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
it ain't the trans if it will go into gear with the engine off. the clutch is not releasing.
it sounds like they gave you the wrong pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch master or slave, or there may be a problem with the throw out fork.

easy test. rear jacked up, engine off.
truck in neutral the driveshaft should spin. trans in gear it should not. trans in gear and clutch pushed to the floor, driveshaft should spin with a little effort because you will also be spinning the trans gears.
if it does not spin in gear with clutch depressed and in gear, there is an issue with the clutch not releasing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tjc, just did the tests since the rear end is still on jacks. truck in neutral- drive shaft spins. truck in gear- drive shaft does not spin but tires turn opposite. truck in gear with clutch pressed- driveshaft does not spin but tires spin oppositely. So clutch not disengaging but why?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
That doesn't even make sense dude.
The tires ain't gonna spin without the driveshaft turning. Unless the ring and pinion were removed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
correct. something is screwed up in the clutch. either the throw out bearing pivot arm is not working properly, or they gave you the wrong throw out bearing or pressure plate.. providing the clutch master and slave cylinder are working properly.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Clutch is not disengaging. Did you by chance put the friction plate in backwards

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
driveshaft does not spin but tires spin oppositely. So clutch not disengaging but why?
That doesn't even make sense dude.
The tires ain't gonna spin without the driveshaft turning. Unless the ring and pinion were removed.
That is how an open differential works. With both tires off the ground and the drivshaft not turning the wheels WILL spin in opposite directions. That's the spider gears in the differential "walking" around the pinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the clutch plate was installed flat on flywheel. i did flip it to see if it would work but the springs were hitting the flywheel bolts and there was a 1/2 gap so it cant go on that way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking it could be the master and slave cylinder. i cant have 3 bad sets? ill try to reblead the system that was in the truck, if that doesent work ill go swap out the new one i just bought.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
So the rod for the dorman master cylinder is shorter than oem. You can pull the oem one and install it into the dorman pre bled unit. How is the plastic bushing on the rod?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not a dorman. its a power torque set from oreilys, metal cylinders not plastic like ford one. ill check the lenths and see if they're different.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how do you test the clutch for to see if it releases? South bend says to use a steering wheel puller but exactly how? i tried moving it with a 1/2 inch extension and a pry bar but it just nudged a bit couldnt get a real good push.

'''Hydraulic Testing

South Bend Clutch Hydraulics

Check that the reservoir is full, and there are no leaks around the master cylinder on the firewall, or at the slave cylinder at the bellhousing.

On units with adjustable Master Cylinder rod (HYDX1.50 and HYDX.750) Make sure clutch pedal is 1/2"-3/4" above brake pedal.

If these two steps check out, before you remove the transmission, you can manually test the clutch with an "H" bar style steering wheel puller. If you do this with the truck running, make sure to block the tires, and all safety precautions are taken. DO NOT step on the clutch pedal with the slave cylinder removed.

Now remove the Slave Cylinder from the bell housing** and attach the steering wheel puller in its place. Using the threaded rod of the puller, tighten it by hand into the clutch release fork, where the slave cylinder rod would normally go. Tighten it as much as you can with your hand, then using a wrench turn the rod in 7/8ths of an inch and stop. With the truck running and the puller on, see if it shifts into gear. If it's working fine the hydraulics may need to be bled or possibly a new system needs to be installed. If the problem doesn't change or gets worse, then the transmission will have to be removed. A fluid change on the transmission could be in order.

** With the slave cylinder removed, make sure the clutch fork is able to move between the pressure plate and bellhousing 1/2in-3/4in. If the fork is pinned up against the bellhousing, or the free travel is more than the measurement provide then the transmission will have to be removed and clutch inspected. Call our tech line at 1-800-988-4345""

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Those instructions tell you how.
Remove the slave cylinder, put the H bar in its place, and use the bolt to push on the clutch fork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rebled two old oem hydraulic sets and swapped out for another new oreillys set and all 3 will not release clutch. i'm at a loss !!!!! whats next? tear it down again? still dont understand the h bar.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote "" If the fork is pinned up against the bellhousing, or the free travel is more than the measurement provide then the transmission will have to be removed and clutch inspected.""

My fork is pinned. i noticed it when i was trying to move it with pry bar. so i guess im tearing it down again???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts