Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
That Guy
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO to cut a long story short and save time, I bought a transmission from craigslist. It was supposed to have been rebuilt by a shop here in South Florida
I'm waiting on the paperwork to be mailed to me.

Straight to the point I dropped my transmission and was getting ready to get the new one in and I found that the input shaft was in backwards. the 31 splined section that the torque converter slides onto is splined 1/8" into the 30 Splined section inside the transmisson.

I'm not sure how it happened. The person I bought the transmission from picked it up for his buddy so that he didn't lose it, due to financial troubles.
Eventually the buddy's truck was repossessed, so He just wanted out from under it and I picked it up. I'm not 100% sure how long he's had it but I saw in the craigslist ad He had it stored bell housing to the ground. So I thinking maybe the input shaft fell out, he set it back in place but backwards? And maybe when he set the tranny down he kinda dropped it and it forced itself into whatever the input shaft splines inside the case? saw some of the splines were kinda bogeyed up, SO i filed them down a little. ( Can see in photo)

Here is a video too so you can easily See what I have going on

www.youtube.COM/watch?v=E0ftb2YjP4k&feature=youtu.be

Also, I found that the end of the other shaft a crack after the Plastic O ring

I know I can get the shaft out if I weld something to it and pull it out or with a slide hammer, I'm just worried about what that force would cause to happen inside the transmission. If i could get the wrong splines out, would the load from the thrust outwards hurt anything inside? Its almost exactly 1/8" or .125" splined in there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You Very Much

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Fixed the link for you.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,088 Posts
I wish I could tell you I know what would happen. But I've never come across something like this before. I just don't know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts