Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the deal guys. I recently graduated with a degree Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. I currently work at a local commercial bank as a Credit Analyst. Its a pretty good job. Not too much hard work, its salary, paid vacation, sick time, all that good stuff. Ya know, typical bankers stuff. The problem I am having is I am so damn BORED!! Even when I have a ton of work to do, I cant help but yawn all day while doing it cuz its just paper crap. Well, I have been thinking about going back and getting my degree in Engineering. I have started getting into renewable energy and how it all works and thought about Enviromental Engineering. But I also worked in construction for about 5 years and enjoyed it other than the fact I was the low man on the todem pole(labor). What do you engineers think? Hows the market? Are you happy with what you do everyday? Any input would help guys. Thanks.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
My degree was in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I loved the program, a lot more based on method vs. based on theory in regular mechanical engineering. basically a lot more hands on type lab work so that suit me great. I started out in sales engineering right out of school with a large HVAC company but have since shifted to project management with a global construction products company (tools, anchors, firestop, etc.) I'm not really using a whole lot of what I learned in school but the degree has opened several doors.

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
Theres probably 150 or so openings right now with in 10 miles of my house for engneers... Mostly Mechanical..

·
PSA
566 Posts
i started my mechanical degree...the math/physics was fun and the labs were fun but it seemed like waaaay to much book work.

If i was to do it again I would definetly do the mechanical eng tech program...seems like more hands on through out the course as well as once you get out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im still looking at what type of engineering degree to pursue. I do like renewable energy and I know there is a market for it and will be for awhile. What does a Mechanical engineer do exactly?

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
Im still looking at what type of engineering degree to pursue. I do like renewable energy and I know there is a market for it and will be for awhile. What does a Mechanical engineer do exactly?
I'm working on Construction Engineering Management right now, a lot of focus is getting directed towards "green" engineering. Something I've thought about as well....

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I graduated in 07 with a civil engineering technology degree (gotta pay attention to the tech or not cause it does make a difference)

Personally I am bored to tears at my job, just like yours paper work and sitting in front of a computer. Its cushy all the perks and certainly nothing to complain about, but I am a fish outa water in it.

I think civil is a great major though, covers just about EVERYTHING, including the renewable stuff. Doesn't give you some down and dirty specifics but covers a lot of field, structural, pipes, roads/materials, hydrology and overland flow of water, soils, ect.

Currently my particular group in this computer (water/wastewater group) is pretty busy, but overall its fairly slow still. Our company as a whole is growing, but we are still under a salary and hiring freeze and have had layoffs in the past few months.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I'm a mechanical engineer around here the jobs are slim at the moment - but I love what I do. I work with custom automation for the die casting, forging, and foundry industries. I see lots of different plants, processes, and parts being made across the industry.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Become a pharmacist! All kidding aside after driving truck and working as a commercial truck tech I graduated with my Automotive Engineering degree and went to work for Jaguar Cars and then Cummins. I still work at Cummins on power generation equipment to 91 liters. I honestly don't know if I would do it again if I could. If you truly think you would be happy, with you finance/MBA background you would be a desired candidate. Engineering only gets you so far and I know Cummins is pushing for continuing education for all employees.

Cory

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Building windmills could be fun.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
You could base jump off them also.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I made a base jump off of El Cap in Yosemite, it was a blast.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sometimes we would make sudden unannounced jumps into college football games.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Yeah but screw tha car it needs to be a ford truck with a PSD ! :poke:
Parachutes reinflate in the back of a pickup. BAD IDEA. Vans were the ticket.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts