Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck is a 2002 f250 with a 7.3. It is a California truck with a GPCM. It does not start when it is under 50F it does start if I have had the block heater on.

I replaced all 8 Glow Plugs and I had an issue with the Under Valve Cover Wiring Harness which I believe I corrected using the 50 cent modification. After the 50Cent mod the truck started fine but it was 65F. This morning at 40F the truck would not start. The little coil light on the dash stays on as long as the key is on. The light goes out after several seconds when it was 65F after the 50 cent mod. I checked the battery voltage, 12.41v with key off and it drops .2v with the key on. At this point it appeared to me that everything was pointing to the GPCM so I replaced it this morning. On the old GPCM I noticed some melting at the fat pin on both connectors. I noticed damage on the harness side too. At this point I am strongly suspecting the damage on the harness side connectors may be the problem. Are those connectors available with pig tails so I can slice them in? If so, where? The Ford dealer here wants to sell me a $200 harness (4C3Z-12B568-AA) but from the pictures found on Google images that part requires the reuse of the connectors at issue. Is that correct?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received the part yesterday and installed it. Bingo, problem solved. The part consists of the two harness side connectors with pig tails and crimp connectors with shrinking spaghetti. It is a Navistar part so possibly it could be purchased elsewhere cheaper.

Anyone having cold starting issues with a California truck should check those connectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts